Best Magazines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yearlylesson

Reaction score
I just joined the American Homebrewing Association and I know that comes with the Zyumurgy magazine. I am wondering if anyone can recommend some other beer or homebrew magazines that would be worthwhile.

I like BYO. It's about $28 per year, but usually when a renewal comes up, you can add a friend for a year for free. So, if you have a friend, you can split the cost.

+2 on BYO I felt it's slightly less polluted with ads & has decent articles as well as good recipes.

Are there others besides Zymurgy and BYO? I see this question pop up from time to time and always wondered why the debate between two mags.

Are there others besides Zymurgy and BYO?

Ha, that's what I was thinking...

BeerAdvocate and I think some other other magazines have like a one or two page article on something homebrewing related, but BYO and Zymurgy are the only homebrew magazines I believe.

I read Zymurgy and BYO...both are great. I don't think I would want just one or the other...I can never have too much homebrew information.

I just subscribed to Brew Your Own. Does anyone read and enjoy Beer Advocate? I realize it doesn't have much of a focus on homebrewing but does it have good information on beer in general?

I just subscribed to Brew Your Own. Does anyone read and enjoy Beer Advocate?

I subscribed to it back in May just to satisfy a curiosity. So far, I'm not impressed with the topics or depth of the articles. In fact, some the Q&A responses sound quite arrogant. I doubt I'll renew...

I am wondering if anyone can recommend some other beer or homebrew magazines that would be worthwhile.

From a craft beer culture perspective, I've actually enjoyed reading Beer Magazine when I'm hanging out with my lady at B&N. They usually have an article or two about homebrewing too.

Go to B&N and look in the food section of the magazine racks. There should be at least a couple of beer related magazines. Oh, and if you're reading for free, at least buy a coffee or something. :D

I get Beer magazine. I got it before I started brewing about 6 months ago. It propbably isn't the best for a brewing magazine. It has maybe 4 pages about homebrewing. Though the magazine in general is pretty entertainingto read.

Yeah, I kind of got the sense of a bit of arrogance or self importance with Beer Advocate and that's not for me. Thanks for the tip on Beer Magazine, I will check it out at Barnes and Noble.

BYO will give you one free issue that you can read and then if you like it you can continue the subscription and pay for it or you can go ahead and cancel the subscription. That's what I did for convenience sake. I am sure I will end up continuing with it but it's a great risk free way to check it out.

I haven't read BYO in a long long time, but I did pick up a Draft magazone (not the sports one) and enjoyed the articles and the photography. Not my first choice for brewing mags, but a decent read nonetheless.

It's not a magazine, but after grabbing a couple issues from my favorite beer store, I just signed up for "Southwest Brewing News" It's a newspaper devoted to brewing and relatively local info written with craftbrewers and homebrewers in mind. It is ran by parent site "Brewing News" which publishes 7 different regional papers. Subscription is $20 for one year for one paper printed bimonthly. They also offer subscriptions for multiple of their publications with increasing discounts, ending at all seven for $87. The content includes well-written articles, a few good columns, etc, but also provides a map of the area covered with a list of breweries, beer stores, beer restaurants, and homebrew shops (all paid for of course) and all sorts of fun ads. I just wish they had some articles online to be able to point out the style of writing.

I haven't gotten playboy in a couple years but they actually had good beer articles pretty regularly. Yes, I was one of those guys who actually read the magazine. We would cut out the spreads and just give them away at parties to avoid people reading them in the bathroom or stealing them from parties. Seriously, it was a never ending amusement to me... them: "OMG, you have playboy, let me see!!!" me: "Sad really, you've never seen a naked woman have you?" :D

Back