Newark food and brew fest 7/25/2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't be up there in time for this one, plus I won't be up there on weekends until the official move is over with...

Remains to be seen, but with two young kids we're leaning towards West Chester, PA (due to the schools) area. I'll be working in Wilmington.

Hell with the property taxes in PA you might as well just live in Delaware and send them to private school.

Hell with the property taxes in PA you might as well just live in Delaware and send them to private school.

PA property taxes--$3000-$6000/ year

DE private schools--$8000/year (per child).

We were initially looking in the Smyrna/Odessa area due to the Appoquinimink(?) school district which is supposed to be one of the best in the state, but the commute would be too much.

We are still weighing our options, though.

PA property taxes--$3000-$6000/ year

DE private schools--$8000/year (per child).

We were initially looking in the Smyrna/Odessa area due to the Appoquinimink(?) school district which is supposed to be one of the best in the state, but the commute would be too much.

We are still weighing our options, though.

In Chester County? That must be a small lot! Don't forget all the sales tax you'd spend living in PA. And your vehicles will cost twice as much per year to get inspections/emissions.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm from PA and I miss it sometimes. If I had to choose, I would have a hard time making that decision.

In Chester County? That must be a small lot! Don't forget all the sales tax you'd spend living in PA. And your vehicles will cost twice as much per year to get inspections/emissions.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm from PA and I miss it sometimes. If I had to choose, I would have a hard time making that decision.

I suppose its okay to derail this thread as the event's date has passed...

We haven't decided just yet, but we need to take into account our daughters' educations. Most of the houses we've looked at had property taxes that fell in that range, and most were 1/2 to 1 full acre. Granted, we're not looking at the heart of West Chester--more like the outlying areas. Thankfully, we're quite flexible, as we don't have family in the immediate area and her friends are all pretty much in Philly...

Well just to give you a couple ideas Delaware does have a Charter school. Its about equivalent to a private school but it is public. I know they have it for high school but I do not know about elementary and middle. Another that I can't believe I would ever say is a VERY small private school in North East, MD. It is called Tome. Its actually where I went to school. They are pretty inexpensive for a private school and do offer financial aid. I hated going there but it is actually a very good school. Just thought I would toss a couple things out for you to possibly look at.

I appreciate the info, data. As I said, we are pretty flexible and open as to our future residence, we just need to consider our children (and keep somewhat local to Wilmington).

I am living in Chester county, and went to College at West Chester. It is an awesome area. If you want to offer the kids a great education, and still have some space between you and the neighbor, you may want to look at Avon Grove School district. That was the goal for me an the wife, but we fell in love with a house that was one township over in an great, but not as great, School District.

If you are up here soon enough, by fall or so, you can get in on the group brew lambic. PM me if your interested.

Back