oxygen canisters from home depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Island Brewer

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
Those of you who are using the oxygen canisters to oxygenate their wort, what are you using as a valve and connector to the tubing?

Yeah, I was afraid you'd say that. Beyond removing the end of the torch, did you have to remove or add anything else?

I didn't tear anything apart. The oxygen tanks require a reverse thread valve and I had one of those with a barb fitting on it (from the propane/O2 torch kit). I just got a simple air stone and some tubing and it worked fine.

Just get yours online. Like this: (edit: that's kinda expensive, might shop around)

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oxygenation-kit.html

40800c.jpg

Williams sell a stainless rod with a welded stone and cheap regulator.

Works well.

I use those home depot canisters, but its hard to tell when full/empty. Bought one last time and when i got to the point where i was going to oxygenate (Williams Brewing regulator) nothing came out. When they do work they work great, made my WLP 565 dupont yeast kick hard and fast

I use the stainless rod as well. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I put the air filter that I had from the aerator. I tend to keep two of the canisters on hand, just in case I empty one mid oxygenate.

I use the Williams one as well. It works great and is easy to clean. I scrub it down then boil the stone for 5 minutes.

I didn't tear anything apart. The oxygen tanks require a reverse thread valve and I had one of those with a barb fitting on it (from the propane/O2 torch kit). I just got a simple air stone and some tubing and it worked fine.

Just get yours online. Like this: (edit: that's kinda expensive, might shop around)

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oxygenation-kit.html

I use a very similar one from my LHBS but it's cheaper and has an inline filter. Works great.

I wish I had bought one of the stainless steel wands, but was able to rig up my stone to a racking cane with good results.

I use those home depot canisters, but its hard to tell when full/empty. Bought one last time and when i got to the point where i was going to oxygenate (Williams Brewing regulator) nothing came out. When they do work they work great, made my WLP 565 dupont yeast kick hard and fast

I just bought the Williams regulator/wand/airstone as well. Went to Lowe's and bought two canisters which don't weigh anything. Got to the register and told the lady that I hoped there was something in them because they were so light and she said "yeah... air don't weigh much." Good thing I wasn't drinking anything because I would have snorted it out my nose that was so damn funny. Now it's kind of an inside joke with my sons and we use that line as often as we can. Not brewing for 2 more weeks but I seriously hope there is oxygen in those canisters!

I just bought the Williams regulator/wand/airstone as well. Went to Lowe's and bought two canisters which don't weigh anything. Got to the register and told the lady that I hoped there was something in them because they were so light and she said "yeah... air don't weigh much." Good thing I wasn't drinking anything because I would have snorted it out my nose that was so damn funny. Now it's kind of an inside joke with my sons and we use that line as often as we can. Not brewing for 2 more weeks but I seriously hope there is oxygen in those canisters!

I did kind of think that when I first picked it up. But I have gone through 4 five gallon batches @ 60 seconds each, and am waiting for it to run out. Just remember you only want small bubbles to be coming out. Doesn't take much to open it when you start..

Silicone tubing, airstone, brass regulator from NB. Boil the tubing and stone together, super easy.

From Amazon I ordered a .5 micron stone posted on homebrewfinds.com. With my Prime membership it was less than 6 bucks shipped and arrived in two days.

For the regulator, I went with the all brass number sold at Adventures in Homebrewing for $29.99. It seemed pretty heavy duty so I spent the extra ten bucks on it compared to the Williams. I'm in Michigan though so shipping wasn't a concern.

Both items have 1/4" barbs, so I just bought 6' of tubing to go along.

You can usually get that same regulator in kits, Adventures in Homebrewing has the full kit, but I think I saved $9-15 buying the pieces separately compared to other kits I've seen online.

I did not buy an inline filter, and hopefully I don't regret that in the future.

I have a regulator for sale if anyone is interested. All you need is the tubing and a o2 stone. It is in new condition and would be $25 shipped priority mail to you. Pm me

haha so they weigh as much empty as they do full. I'm taking my regulator in to double check next time

raouliii said:
The 1.4oz red oxygen canisters are the same size as the skinny 14oz green propane canisters.

At least you can tell those have something in them.

My question is ..why are you oxygenating your wort with expensive oxygen when stirring it is all you need to do ? Yeast only needs oxygen at the start . I bet too much is not good or at least it is useless

MarcusKillion said:
My question is ..why are you oxygenating your wort with expensive oxygen when stirring it is all you need to do ? Yeast only needs oxygen at the start . I bet too much is not good or at least it is useless

It is the easiest way to more fully oxygenate the wort to a saturation level. You only leave the oxygen tank open for approximately 30 seconds or so.

Pure O2 is needed for very high gravity beers and some certain strains of yeast. Stirring alone can only introduce 8 ppm of dissolved O2 maximum. With pure oxygen you can easily achieve 30 ppm. According to the book yeast the average O2 requirement for full attenuation is 12 ppm. However in how to brew, Palmer notes that pure O2 beers were thinner and more watery than their non pure O2 counterparts. Palmer does say the results are not scientific though. Essentially my point is that what is wasteful to one is a valuable tool for another and both methods can make good beer.

wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to get a refillable medical oxygen tank rather than disposable ones? Ok, they cost quite a bit when first purchasing the tank but after that a refill is cheapo.
My local prices here in Ecuador for a tank with regulator and refills:
180 liter tank $65/480 liter tank $89/680 liter tank $95
regulator is approximately $75 (when i received the quote they added a regulator with humidifier for $110, am waiting on quote for one without humidifier but I guess it would be between $50-$75.)

refill of oxygen, independent of tank size: $10
so for the biggest tank it would be about $170 plus $10 per refill and 680 liters of oxygen should be enough for dozens and dozens of batches.

master_haze

Good trick is to pitch the yeast and wait four hours before putting oxygen into the wort. Four hours and the yeast will be active and consumed most of the oxygen.

.....Stirring alone can only introduce 8 ppm of dissolved O2 maximum......
I don't believe stirring will get it anywhere near that 8ppm. In YEAST, by Chris White (of White Labs), it is stated "With plenty of headspace, a strong back, and lots of vigorous shaking, a homebrewer can get levels as high as 8 ppm into the wort. This is about the maximum using air."

The same book states "For the average wort and yeast pitching rates, the proper amount of dissolved oxygen is 8 to 10 ppm."

I am confident in believing that my process of adequate yeast pitch/20second O2 injection/ 30second vigorous shaking, is likely providing all the O2 my yeast need. I use a 6.5gal carboy which provides 1gal of O2 saturated headspace.

Except for one slight underattenuation using WLP007, my 20ish batches have all reached expected FG using this method.

thesmithsera, You might try weighing a full and empty one. I know they only hold 1.4 oz. A cheap kitchen scale would give you a ballpark idea of what you've got left. I try and do the same with my propane tanks, but sometimes the, "I'll get to the propane place a little later..." never happens.
Okay so I read some of the other posts... If you need a 'script to get the medical tanks filled, what about an O2 tank from a welding set-up? Maybe a small 40 CF tank. (spoken like a true non-welder...)

As mentioned above, here in the States you need a prescription to fill an medical tank. I use a 20 cf oxygen welding tank with a regulator designed for such from Williams. The initial layout is more, but you get 18x the oxygen as a disposable cylinder for the cost of about 2 cylinders.

So I decided to hold off on the home depot canisters for now, instead I just bought a new mix-and-stir, this time a stainless steel rod. I need it for wine making anyway, and it is WAY better than shaking the hell out of the carboy. I run it for 5 minutes with my drill, threading it through a drilled bung, and it turns my wort (or in this case, today, a cyser) into a foamy cream.

I was at Harbor Freight today, and looking at their Oxygen cylinders and regulators. I suspect a single fill would last me my next 10 years of brewing, so I'm gonna wait for my 20% off coupon and get them in the next few months. I can stick with low gravity brews for a few weeks anyway.

Thanks to you all for the info. It's a shame that the regulator for the Bernzomatic/Worthington cannisters isn't more widely available (read: cheaper).

So I decided to hold off on the home depot canisters for now, instead I just bought a new mix-and-stir, this time a stainless steel rod. I need it for wine making anyway, and it is WAY better than shaking the hell out of the carboy. I run it for 5 minutes with my drill, threading it through a drilled bung, and it turns my wort (or in this case, today, a cyser) into a foamy cream.

I was at Harbor Freight today, and looking at their Oxygen cylinders and regulators. I suspect a single fill would last me my next 10 years of brewing, so I'm gonna wait for my 20% off coupon and get them in the next few months. I can stick with low gravity brews for a few weeks anyway.

Thanks to you all for the info. It's a shame that the regulator for the Bernzomatic/Worthington cannisters isn't more widely available (read: cheaper).

Bought three Bernzomatic containers today for $9 each. Got them at the local Ace, Home Depot didn't have them. The regulator I think was $30? I forgot what the diffusion stone was but it bubbles super hard if you turn the regulator even a little bit more. Can't imagine what a big set up would do, you could blow up your carboy. Ha.

Back