I Love homemade cider!!!! But.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromedome

Reaction score
It don't love me. I'm not trying to gross anyone out, but I was wondering if there was somthing I could add to my finished cider so it dosn't run right through me.( and I don't mean #1) The only other "hard" cider i've had is Woodchuck, and I can drink 6+ with no problems, however if I drink 1 mug of homebrew i'm on the can within ten minutes. HELP!!! I would would like to be able drink my homebrew other places besides my house, but I'm afraid to leave the security of my thown.

Is your cider stabalized?

I read somewhere that live yeast can cause gas and bloating in some people.

PRIMARY - I let it ferment out dry. SECONDARY - I prime with concentrate for carbonation and sweetness in 20 oz vernors bottles for a couple days, then chuck in the frig to stop fermentation.

There is a few things you can do. The "quickness of evacuation" is usually due to the particular type of yeast, or fruit added which has natural and wild yeasties that have the ability to consume particulates left behind in ones digestive track. This is good, but also kind of bad. Try a different yeast and boiling your apple juice. Added fruit should be pasturized before addition to the fermenter to avoid the introduction of wild yeast and bacteria. I dont boil mine, and rarely have a problem, but find yourself a "test subject" to see if the results can be duplicated.

I thought if you refrigerated the bottles after letting them carbonate for a few days it would kill the yeast. am I wrong to think this? Also i'm using pasturized apple juice and champagne yeast, then concentrate for priming and sweetening, if that makes a difference.

Yup, you are wrong in this. It will put them to sleep (put them in a dormant state), but it will not kill them.

Refrigeration slows yeast to dormancy but does not kill it. You are still drinking live yeast with your cider and I suspect that may be your "problem". The good news is that after your intestines get used to live yeast, it doesn't effect them as much.

I thought if you refrigerated the bottles after letting them carbonate for a few days it would kill the yeast. am I wrong to think this? Also i'm using pasturized apple juice and champagne yeast, then concentrate for priming and sweetening, if that makes a difference.

Well, if you are drinking the cider less than 6 months after you started it, that would explain the problem you're having. I can drink pretty young homebrew (it doesn't affect me at all in the same way) but I wouldn't try drinking it immediately.

If you are priming and sweetening and then sticking it in the fridge, I have a feeling you're drinking some very yeasty cider.

chromedome - I agree your drinking very yeasty cider.
Let it fully ferment in primary, rack to secondary and leave it there for at two months+. Get it very clear, then crash chill it if possible before bottling. This will make the yeast dormant and settle to the bottom, but your still have some.
The most important thing is to leave it conditioning in the bottle for a month to 3 months. Your still have a little yeast but it's good for your digestive system. (Floral bouquet or something like that.)
The good news is you now have a natuaral way to prevent constipation.

Latest posts

Back