Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
Ok, I am probably completly wrong but I am confused. The brewpub near me is serving a dunkel right now because they ran out of the octoberfest really quickly. I liked this and am interested in brewing it. The only thing that I am confused about is that they said it is a lager when I thought it was a dunkelweizen and wouldnt this make it an ale yeast? Is it possible that their "dunkel" isnt a dunkelweizen but something different?

"dunkel" means dark in german. most "dunkels" are dark lagers. "dunkel-weisse" or "dunkelweizen" means a dark hefeweizen.

"weizen" means wheat, btw...and "weisse" means white :)

EDIT: Oh! and hefe means yeast

:mug:

I thought weizen meant wheat but I wasnt 100% positive.... Im actually looking at their website right now and the only denkel they have listed that they ever make is a dunkelweizen. So either they made this a one time thing or the guy that told me that was wrong. I kinda tend to believe the server though because I think he is also a part-time brewer there and usually seems like he knows what hes talking about.

I didnt see that. I was looking at the seasonal list at the bottom. That is probably what it is.

Incidentally though, dunkelweizens are a great beer for hombrewing and are pretty easy to make. Personally I prefer a good dunkelweizen to any other weissbier.

DeathBrewer said:
wow...that place looks great! i'm jealous!

Yea, I love that place. Im in there all the time. They have great beer and food so what more could i want :). Im thinking i may be in there to much because its gotten to the point that the servers know what I eat and drink and if they have something new they are handing me a sample pretty much before I even ask for it.

I find a lot of places are taking ale styles and lagering them, so it lighter and more people like it.

Back