How much prime to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
Hi all. First time posting.

I have made this recipe, http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/133, and would like to know what type and how much prime to use for bottling to replicate the low carbonation of English Bitters. Also what do you think of the recipe? I used White labs Burton Ale. It is in the secondary right now. I smelled it and it smelt fruity, almost like pears. Thanks Jay

The basic rule of thumb is 3/4 cup dextrose (corn sugar) for a 5 gallon batch. Dissolve it in hot water, cool, then add it to the bottling bucket, stirring well.

Yuri_Rage said:
The basic rule of thumb is 3/4 cup dextrose (corn sugar) for a 5 gallon batch. Dissolve it in hot water, cool, then add it to the bottling bucket, stirring well.

Would this be for English pale ales or beer in general?

Thanks for the info. Think it's going to taste pretty good? I am doing BYO Fullers London Pride next and then Fullers ESB from Clone brews.

I bought a 20lb bag of corn sugar to save money. Those 4.5 oz bags are $.79 = $2.81/lb. The 20lb bag cost me $19.99 a great savings. I did pour one of those 4.5 oz bags into a measuring cup so I would know how much to use and it was 7/8 cup. If you are looking for low carbonation i guess go 3/4 or a littel bit less.

Dang... 20lbs of sugar. You're right, the "per batch" size is a total rip. Most places that sell it in 1lb bags only get $1 for it though so I've always bought 2 lbs at a time. It fit with my normal ingredients replenishment schedule... before I started kegging that is.

I have been doing the 3/4 cup for awhile but I see those calculators all over the web. I guess I'm the idiot because I have no idea what it is asking for when it asks "Enter the desired volumes of CO2". How do I know what the desired level is? Is there a table of reference for beers as to what a "desired" level of carbonation is?

Take for instance a Pale Ale, what would be a desired level to input into the calculator for that?

jay29 said:
Would this be for English pale ales or beer in general?

Charly Papazian's 1st Ale recipe in "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" Is Rightious Ale. It calls for 1/2 corn sugar for English Ale or 3/4 cup for Standard American Ale.

:mug:

Munch671 said:
I have been doing the 3/4 cup for awhile but I see those calculators all over the web. I guess I'm the idiot because I have no idea what it is asking for when it asks "Enter the desired volumes of CO2". How do I know what the desired level is? Is there a table of reference for beers as to what a "desired" level of carbonation is?

Take for instance a Pale Ale, what would be a desired level to input into the calculator for that?

The desired volumes of CO2 is essentially how much CO2 you want in your beer.

If you use http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html
the drop down list gives you standard ranges. So for American Pale Ale 2.2-2.8 volumes is standard.

Awesome, thanks Beerrific. I saw the pull down arrow but didn't know the corresponding numbers next to each type were the desired CO2 levels.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back