Schwarzbier-- Black beer with a blonde soul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I need some help constructing an AG recipe for a Schwarzbier.

I was thinking the base malt should be continental pilsner mixed 60/40 with Munich.

I also have 3 pounds of Carafa II (not dehusked, unfortunately), some Vienna, Caravienne. . . I'd like to make this as authentically German as possible, and stay away from Patent, Chocolate, and Crystal malts if I can.

Not sure of quantities for the above malts. Hops will likely include Tettnang and Hallertau.

Need suggestions!!!

Thanks.

Here's what I've come up with so far. . . .

I'm going to do a single decoction on this one. I"m thinking of substituting Caravienne for the crystal.

Getting ready to brew now, so need feedback ASAP!!

Sturm Schwarzbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

04-C Dark Lager, Schwarzbier

Min OG: 1.046 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 22 Max IBU: 32
Min Clr: 17 Max Clr: 36 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 22.75
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.67
Anticipated SRM: 24.2
Anticipated IBU: 26.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 11.76 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG 10.84 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
57.1 13.00 lbs. Pilsener Malt(2-Row) Continental Eu 1.035 1
30.8 7.00 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
5.5 1.25 lbs. Carafa Germany 1.030 400
4.4 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 20.0 60 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.00 4.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.00 1.5 20 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single decoction

Protein rest 122 for 20 minutes
Diastase Rest 152 for 1 hour

I ended up cheating a little and used roasted barley and chocolate malt to get the black beer with a blonde soul.
I had the following and was pleased.

10 gal.

11# Munich
9# Pilsner
1/2# crystal 60 °L
1/4# chocolate 400 °L
1/2# Carafa 400 °L
1/2# roasted barley (??? >450 °L)

Hallertauer

Wyeast 2206

runhard, trainhard, raceEZ

My only concerns are that the carafa I ordered turned out to have the husks. I was sure I ordered carafa special, but oh well.

I think I'm going to use the caravienne instead of crystal.

Sounds like you'll have a nice beer on the way.

I didn't see which yeast you had chosen. What did you decide to use?

I've only made it twice using a lager yeast but was told that a good clean Kolsch ale strain will work well too if you keep the fermentation temp. at the lower range for that strain. I might try that sometime and just compare.

Well, I couldn't find the right yeast locally, and I didn't have the time to make a starter, so I'm going to use the Saflager yeast, pitch 22 grams per 5 gallons at 48 degrees, and ferment it on the colder side.

I think it'll probably turn out ok. If I had my choice, I would have used a Bavarian or Oktoberfest liquid strain.

Alright, this has sort of turned into my one man blog. . .

did I mention I hate decoctions??

I'm doing one right now.

Messy, time consuming. . .

BUT AUTHENTIC!!!

A little late, but that seems like too much Carafa II. The recipes I've seen use about 1/2 that amount. That plus the husks means you'll be closer to a stout than you wanted. Should be an interesting brew.

I don't like decoctions much, but I have a 20 quart pot and a 10,000 btu burner that takes the slows out.

david_42 said:
A little late, but that seems like too much Carafa II. The recipes I've seen use about 1/2 that amount. That plus the husks means you'll be closer to a stout than you wanted. Should be an interesting brew.

I don't like decoctions much, but I have a 20 quart pot and a 10,000 btu burner that takes the slows out.

I based the Carafa off of a Koestritzer type recipe, and I cut it down a bit from the original. Right now it smells a tad bit roasted (maybe too much??).

Either way, I'm sure it'll be ok.

My decoction went well. I didn't decoct quite enough, and in all reality, I should have done a double decoction to bring my temps up better. Instead, I got it in the ballpark, and ramped it up using my HERMS.

My boil kettle doubles great as a decoction kettle, and with the 200,000 BTU burner, I had it boiling in 5 minutes (after the decoction diastase rest).

I'm sparging right now.

Yep, decoctions aren't really high on my list of things to do but the technique certainly adds a level of complexity to the beers. I hope all went well today and maybe the "tad roasted" smell will mellow as the beer lagers. After the beer is no longer green let us know how the recipe matured.

Will do.

Most of my temps went well. . . I should have done a double decoction, but oh well.

The only major thing that happened was when my chiller hose came undone from my pump, and my pump started squirting boiling hot wort all over me and the floor/wall. I now have 1st and second degree burns on my fingers, and I wasted about a half gallon of wort. :eek:

Its now fermenting away in the lagering fridge at 46 degrees F.

Back