accidently left hops in during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeinog

Reaction score
ok so this is my first batch and im brewing a red ale. i overlooked the step of filtering out the hops as i poured the wort into my carboy(my how to brew book by palmer didnt cover red ales so i was bouncing back and forth between kit instructions and his book and just spaced it in my rush). did i just ruin my first batch or will it just turn out overly hoppy. felt so stupid when i reliazed i did it but learn as you go i guess. airlocks been popping off too but i think its cause i didnt leave enough head room. thank you in advance for you advice.

It will be fine you boiled most of the flavor out of the hops anyway.

You will be fine. They will settle out and become trub. RDWHAHB. You might look into making a blowoff tube. There's tons of material on here about blowoff tubes. Welcome!

Having hops in the fermenter won't hurt anything. Don't even sweat it. As for the airlock popping out, might be some slippery residue left over from the sanitizer. Try wiping the inside mouth of the carboy with a rubbing alcahol dampened paper towel and try again. Also, put the air lock on empty and then fill it with sanitizer.

I use 2 colanders to strain my wort, it gets all that stuff out and helps greatly with aeration. But no, you dont have to in fact Im pretty sure many people dont even bother

Super excited now didn't mess it up to bad. Gf keeps makeing fun of me for watching the carboy every hour or two. Thanx guys.

Latest posts

Back