Samoa Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skagdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew a stout and had a thought last night, what about a Stout that tastes like a Samoa!

I plan for and routinely rack 6 gallons into the primary, BTW.

Here's what I'm thinking for a grain bill:
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb 4 oz chocolate malt
1 lb 8 oz Crystal 80
7 lb 4 oz 2-row

151 for 75 minutes

Hops and other BK additives:
8 oz caramelized sucrose,
1 oz Tet @ 60,
1 oz Tet @ 20,
2 split vanilla beans at 5 minutes,
.75 lbs cocoa powder at flameout

Added at Secondary:

16 oz toasted coconut
.5 lbs cocoa powder

Haven't settled on yeasties yet but questions, why, yes I have questions, thanks for asking:

1. Do you think I will get the Caramel, Chocolate and coconut flavors I'm looking for?

2. What ways are there of adding to the body without increasing OG and FG?

3. Will toasted Coconut completely destroy any head I would hope to have on this brew?

4. What do you think? Critique away, I really would like to settle on a recipe in the next week or two for my next brew day!

Happy Brewing!

I just had the same idea... And I knew immediately someone here has/ would try this. I'm wondering how well this works out for you/ if anyone else has some ideas on how to improve this recipe. Also, I bet a Samoa stout would be great on nitro.

That would probably be a porter since it has no roast. And I'd probably cut down the chocolate to 1lb.

If you want a stout then I'd probably go .5 lbs of both chocolate and roast

That would probably be a porter since it has no roast. And I'd probably cut down the chocolate to 1lb.

If you want a stout then I'd probably go .5 lbs of both chocolate and roast

Thanks, that's what sort of insight I'm seeking on where to start. I'm gonna brew an IPA on Friday and my next project will be this..

any updates...bumpity bump bump bump. I was planning on either doing S'more Stout or else a Samoa Stout for my next "weird science" beer.

The jury is still out on hops but this is my next brew. I had to push it off to get a couple winners brewed up for a local comp. 23 or 24 April is brew day.

Just had the same idea, and a quick search resulted in this thread. Every time I think I come up with something original, someone has beaten me to the punch! I'd love to hear how it ended up. I'd love an Extract-friendly recipe that would include those chocolate, coconut, and caramel flavors! :ban:

mmm coconut sounds good, anyone think you could get the flavor by putting it in the last couple minutes of the boil?

You're thinking of American Samoa. Yes it's a country of many islands near the Philippines and Fiji, the wrestler The Rock grew up there. My old coworker was his babysitter. The brew sounds fascinating, I'm only on my second batch ever and still using kits, totally custom brews still intimidate me a bit. In due time...

I know, I used to live in Samoa, not the US one, but the OP said, "what about a Stout that tastes like a Samoa!" I was just wondering if it was an actual food I'd never heard of that came from Samoa.

Samoa as in the Girl Scout cookie...mmmm....cookies....I've brewed a couple stouts as think I've got the stout part down. I haven't played with the coconut yet..

Ah, ok, the coconut ones I assume. I have had Maui coconut porter, which is quite tasty, and have a recipe I wanted to try. They toast their coconut I think.

0.75 lb Coconut (toasted) (Mash 1.0 hours) Misc
0.75 lb Coconut (toasted) (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
2.00 lb Coconut (toasted) (Boil 0.0 min) Misc

I don't personally mlike coconut, but I make homemade coconut milk for my 18 month old with an intolerance to dairy. If you toast up the spent coconut after making milk, you'll get all the same coconut flavor with far less of the head destroying fats, since it will nearly all come out in the milk. I've made fried coconut shrimp with my spent coconut before and it worked great.

Skagdog said:
I've been wanting to brew a stout and had a thought last night, what about a Stout that tastes like a Samoa!

I plan for and routinely rack 6 gallons into the primary, BTW.

Here's what I'm thinking for a grain bill:
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb 4 oz chocolate malt
1 lb 8 oz Crystal 80
7 lb 4 oz 2-row

151 for 75 minutes

Hops and other BK additives:
8 oz caramelized sucrose,
1 oz Tet @ 60,
1 oz Tet @ 20,
2 split vanilla beans at 5 minutes,
.75 lbs cocoa powder at flameout

Added at Secondary:

16 oz toasted coconut
.5 lbs cocoa powder

Haven't settled on yeasties yet but questions, why, yes I have questions, thanks for asking:

1. Do you think I will get the Caramel, Chocolate and coconut flavors I'm looking for?

2. What ways are there of adding to the body without increasing OG and FG?

3. Will toasted Coconut completely destroy any head I would hope to have on this brew?

4. What do you think? Critique away, I really would like to settle on a recipe in the next week or two for my next brew day!

Happy Brewing!

I didn't do much research but I heard a couple things from my LHBS and decided to make my first all grain stout. Built the recipe around an oatmeal stout so it would have the body and feel from the flaked oats, mashed at 155, but I added chocolate and coconut to try and mimic my girlfriends favorite beer

. I typically do a 60min boil but upped it to 90min and adjusted my boil off calculations accordingly. Upped it to 90 because I added 5oz of unsweetened 100%cacao (melted in microwave), the extra boil just allows the oils to break down that much more.

I also toasted 7oz of natural unsweetened coconut flakes, added them to a secondary and racked onto them for 2 weeks. Just transferred to the keg yesterday and is tastes okay... I'm interested in how it turned out.

So no changes in my mash, just boiled the chocolate and coconut in the secondary... Not expecting any issues except maybe flavors balances but who knows.... I could have completely went at this the wrong way. Any thoughts?

Did this one ever turn out? Co-worker was selling Girl Scout Cookies this week, and it dawned on me just how good this would be. Like an earlier poster said, the idea was already started here. Which is good.

Really thinking about putting this together to brew in the summer for the Fall.

I haven't brewed beer in about 3 months...I have my stout recipe down just like I like it and have tried different variations but my favorite so far is a vanilla/coffee stout that I can't get enough of....this has been back burnered for a while due to surgery, auto problems (front wheel fell off at 55mph), and a frozen/exploded pipe in the garage.

All my ebrewery money suddenly turned into deductible money....

I ain't sobbing though, I'm grateful that I'm able to fend off these physical/financial attacks and thankful that I've still got some stout, my midnight sun lager (summer solstice brewed/winter solstice bottled) and a few IPAs left....

Happy Brewing!

Back