Let's talk CO2 refills=

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
How much do you pay and how long does it take? This is the first time I've bought gas, but it took me almost two weeks to get my tank back. They had to pressure test and the guy told me they were behind before I dropped it off.

Still, two weeks with the system out of order is a long time. There is the bright side that it made me give my IPA another two weeks to condition and it tasted great this weekend.

It cost 37 bucks for the pressure test and refill. Oh and they don't have a tank exchange. The ol' boy told me "You take this tank somewhere else and swap it for one that's almost out of date, then you're f&%ked." I appreciated his frankness, but do you think he had a point?

Never had to deal with a test since I have a new tank, but it takes about 10 minutes and $12.60 for a 5# fill at the place I use.

I have a friend that works for a HVAC supply place. I call him and he brings me a tank within a day. I think I pay $12 for a 10 lb tank.

I think the guy you talked to is goofy. If he gave me a tank that was almost out of date, he should take it back when it's time for a refill.

I've always been under the impression that if you're swapping, they don't even look at the date. That's the big advantage of swapping.

I took 2 - 5# tanks in. One was out of date and had to be pressure tested.

The good tank went into the cooler to chill prior to filling. I was told this is the best way to condition your tank prior to filling. If your guy doesn't do this then he is cheating you. (I can't prove it, just something I was told). I picked it up after work the same day. Cost about $7.56. :D

Second tank took a few days, tested good for naother 5 years and cost about $37.00 filled. :D

I suspect he had a point, but I always go to the same place and swap, $8/#5. When I first visited, the guy was gleeful that I had two steel tanks and was willing to take aluminums. Seems some of the GOB's here insist on steel.

I dont care about what kind or how pretty the tanks are so exchanging the tanks has always worked for me. And if the tanks is out of date when I return it they have to re-certify it not me.

Seems different in different locales. Here in midstate NY it is a refill only deal. $17 for a 5lber and I'm out in 5 min. I had a tank filled in Western PA and they only did fills and it was $4.00 for "2.5"lbs. They just hooked it up to a big tank and opened the valve for about 2 min. That lasted about 1/5 as long as a new tank did.

I paid $20/5lb cylinder to exchange mine. Took less than 5 minutes. Seemed kind of steep though. I had called another place that said they would fill "same day" for $9.39, but that place was way out of my way. $10 more in the cost of CO2 is not bad to get home an hour earlier and drive about 50 miles less. I'm still looking for something close and cheap.

my 20# exchange is around 11 dollars, my 50# exchange is around 14 dollars. i called all the local welding supply places in austin to find the cheapest price.

Found a fire extinguisher place around me that charges $2/lb to refill (gotta leave it with them for a day or two), or another place that charges $13.60 to swap a 10 pounder (plus taxes, I presume). I'm vain and my tank is shiny, so I went for the fill ;).

5/lb is way too expensive, considering i swap my 50# for 14 dollars...

the_bird said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Time to open up the ol' phone book - there's GOT to be a cheaper place than that...
No doubt. I have not and will not be getting refills from them. Just thought I'd post a data point.

I've found a fire extinguisher place that I will get a quote from next.

Back