My Barley Crusher is here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Can't wait to use this thing, I'll hopefully be running 15lbs of grain through it tomorrow for a nice IPA I'm planning to brew.

image-3129764488.jpg

Golddiggie said:
Put a drill on that bad boy and you'll be LOVING IT!! That's how I turn mine.. :D

As soon as funds become available, a drill will be on it's way. Until then, I'll be burning off some of my beer gut while milling my grain.

As soon as funds become available, a drill will be on it's way. Until then, I'll be burning off some of my beer gut while milling my grain.

I have done both the drill and the hand crank; and I must say, I enjoy sitting on the porch the night before a brew day cranking away by hand......

Make sure the hand crank doesn't slide down the shaft. If it does, it wont grind anything and then it will be a major b*itch to get it back off. Also, cranking 15 lbs of grain will take half hour, but will surely go to town on the beer gut.

I love my BC.

I have done both the drill and the hand crank; and I must say, I enjoy sitting on the porch the night before a brew day cranking away by hand......

Man, is there nothing to do in the part of AZ where you are?? :eek:

jbrookeiv said:

My DeWalt 18v cordless drill makes really quick work of grain in mine... Even with just the 7# hopper it chews through it FAST... Easily the ~6#/minute they call out... I might try to create an extension for the hopper so that I can fit closer to 10-15# in it at a time. Until then, I usually brew with someone, so having them scoop/pour more grain in isn't an issue. Of course, I could just do it myself (love the ease of the keyless chuck on my drill :D)...

Personally, I'd rather crush my grain within an hour of when it will be used. Can't wait to actually taste the brews that I've made with the grains running through it... Got another 3-4 weeks before the first batch is carbonated (could be on the yeast for another week, before being bottled)...

ruffdeezy said:
Make sure the hand crank doesn't slide down the shaft. If it does, it wont grind anything and then it will be a major b*itch to get it back off. Also, cranking 15 lbs of grain will take half hour, but will surely go to town on the beer gut.

I love my BC.

Yea, I tightened the screw pretty well on the end of the center shaft. Can't wait to try it! Anyone know what the default setting is on these things? I don't own feeler gauges either.

pretty much.....wait; what?

Nah; I like crushing the grain by hand at night. It's calm and relaxing...

That just sounds SO wrong you know... :drunk:

I might do that, if we lost all electricity for a month, and my drill batteries were drained, and I still could brew since I had enough propane for the burner...

I'm already thinking about getting a couple of more 20# tanks to use (they fit in the back of my truck best, especially with the bed cover)... Also thinking about getting a 40# tank for use at home, once I've moved that is... F'ing landlord... I'd run HIM through the BC, except I don't want to clean his bits out of it. :eek:

Back