Lancaster/Reading/Allentown PA grain group buy- Round #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tom and all in on this group buy!

If we can get two pallets, great! I'm not in a hurry like I was on the last buy.

The way I see it, the more AG brewers, the better. It will only help to keep this going for the future. Sure beats LHBS prices.

One thing I noticed is that there is a surcharge for things like cleanser chemicals from NCM, .....Hazardous Materials charge for chemicals.

For those that want Hops, maybe consider FreshHops, or Hopsdirect.com.
I've purchased from both, and they have prices including shipping that beat the heck out of any LHBS. HopsDirect is my go to.

Over and Out...OF

Thanks old fart. Thanks what I was looking for in the second pallet. I will definitly check out those hop sites

Yeah unfortunately NCM didn't reply to my email yet. hopefully they will today and we can get this figured out. no matter what i want to go through the weekend and see if we pick any sacks up. If we don't, it doesn't look to goo for a second pallet.
Tom

Looks like we would be about 10 sacks in on the second pallet if we were to do it. Anyone else? NCM still never got back to me on the additional items.
Tom

I would also like the remaining
GW-C60 x1/5,
BZ-DMUN x3/5

If I understand correctly that they are available.
Thanks!

The way things seem to be going, yes, we are only going to be doing one pallet this time round. NCM never got back to me after e-mailing them twice. For those of you interested in hops, I think I may do a group buy through HopsDirect in a couple weeks. As for moving forward, as I said in the beginning, I'm not looking at placing the order until around the 21st. I am leaving for Florida for a week and plan to place the order when I return. If everyone is good with it, we can get all the payment stuff taken care of before I leave/while I'm there so it is all set to order when I get back. I have a smartphone and I'll have my laptop in Florida, so I will be able to stay in contact. If anyone is looking at paying with a money order or a personal check, let me know asap so we can get that ball rolling. I will PM everyone tonight to confirm your orders. I still have to go back and delete the partial sacks that weren't filled.
Tom

Tom, are you sure they NCM won't do a partial pallet, or is that what you were emailing about? I have a pretty good contact there and can ask them if that was the question.

Last time I inquired about a partial pallet, they told me it was $110 to ship a pallet no matter how full it was. I was contacting them to see if they could mix a pallet with grains as well as other products such as hops and/or chemicals and if they could, what requirements had to be met (ie. 10 sacks of grain plus x amount of other items equals a full pallet).
Tom

I would also like to get in if not too Late

From Douglassville PA

1 x CM-WHET
1 x CM-2ROW
1 x BZ-PILS

1 x bz pils

Let me know where we stand on the pallet and I could order more if we need it to fill the pallet.

Just guessing, I'd say we'd be around 15-18 sacks for the second pallet so far. I'd love to do a second pallet cause I hate not including everyone, but the numbers just aren't coming in. I wish I could help out and throw on a sack or two but with vacation coming up, moneys a little too tight for that right now. like I said earlier, I'm not planning on placing the order for a bit yet. If we can fill the second pallet by, lets say, March 8th, we'll be good. If it is not filled by the 8th, we are going to go on with one pallet. that will give me enough time to PM everyone their totals before I leave so I don't have to take all my books with me. I do plan to do another grain buy in July or so and hopefully a hop buy in April.
tom

1x TF-MOPA
1/5x GW-C60
1/5x BZ-DMUN
2x CM-2ROW

If possible:
1/2x BZ-PILS
1/2x BZ-WHT

Let me know one way or another.

Okay guys, rough count here but it looks like we're right around 20 sacks for the second pallet. As soon as I get a chance i am going to post on the front page everyone who said they want something if we do a second. I will keep it seperate from the main list so it doesn't get too confusing (for me!), so you may see your name more then once.
Tom

Ok, everything should be sorted out. the partial sacks that weren't filled on the first pallet got added to the second pallet. Couple things 1) kds1398 and M1Owen- if you two decide on one type of wheat, that would be a complete sack 2) I had three guys (Rippt530, jcb317, and gifty74) say they would be in for 2 sacks a piece but never posted what they wanted. i think that is it. so as we stand we have 16 sacks, but if the minor issues above are taken care of we will be at 23.
tom

Tom, sorry for my lack of response. I'm going to discuss with my buddy, but we should be in for 4 sacks...2 more than I had originally posted, that would go on the second pallet. Should make it 25 then I guess. I'll respond before you get back from vacation, or sooner if needed.

No problems with the lack of responce, just trying to get it all figured out. I will need to know what you want by the 8th though. That is going to be the cut off to decide if we are doing the second pallet or not. Obviously if we are only a sack or two away by the 8th, the second one will be happening despite the cut off.
Tom

I just came across this today and have been doing AG for over a year now.

I do not have a mill currently, but would like to be added to this thread for further group buys.

Thanks

Smarek82- if you brew often and can use a sack within a month or two, they can mill it for you.
Tom

Did I read that if they mill it, it would be an extra $2.20 per 55#?

So if I ordered a 55# sack total price would be around 30-35 bucks?

You are correct sir! Last I checked, the milling price was like $3 per sack. they give you three choices on how fine you want it milled.
Tom

Hey Mark. I screwed up, it should actually be 4/5 GW-C60. If you still want some, thats fine. I'm waiting on a PM reply that may make us at an even sack for the C60.
Tom

Tom,

I'll take:

1 CM-PALE, *1/4 CM-WHET*

*if no one else picks up the other 1/4 WHET I'll take the 1/2*

BTW, there isn't any need to mill. Even though we talked about it previously.

Thanks,

SM

I contacted HopsDirect today to start getting the details to do a hop buy. If anyone in the grain buy is interested in hops and wants to be notified when I start that buy (probably beginning of April), shoot me a PM so I can add you to the list.
Tom

I contacted NCM to see if A) we could put more then 42 sacks on a pallet and B) what shipping was on a partial pallet. 42 sacks is the maximum per pallet and as I thought, $110 to ship even a partial pallet. Since tomorrow is the deadline, we have a couple choices. Extend the buy for a week or so and see if we have anyone else jump on board. We coupld also see if we can get another couple sacks and just ship it as a partial. Shipping on the second pallet would obviously be more, but probably still cheaper then buying from a store. The last option would be to just forget about the second pallet all together. Opinions??
Tom

What is the ETA right now if the deadline was tomorrow? Would waiting a week be all that bad? I'd too be fine with paying more.

buying a sack or two would definitely help. We are trying to fill a second pallet right now. For those of you interested, if we hit 30 sacks on the second pallet, shipping would be roughly a dollar more per sack. Deadline was set for tomorrow so I could get totals out to people and hopefully get everyones payment while I was in Florida so I could order when I returned. If we wait a week, I won't be able to PM totals to people until the 19th or 20th. No offence to anyone, but while I'm on vacation in Florida I really don't want to be figuring everyone's totals out!
Tom

put me down for
1 bag of CM-PALE
Also if there is some GW-C60 available I will take 1/5th!

I am interested in like 1/3, 1/4, or 1/5 bags of some specialty malts if they are available for purchase.

Back