chocolate malt - 1 year later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I brew that I put 3 ounces of chocolate malt in it for a little different flavor. The first time I brewed this, it was fantastic. I have tweaked the recipe and brewed it several times since. The 3 oz of choclate malt hasn't changed. However none of the batches after the first was at dark or chocolaty as the first time.

I drank a bottle the other day from last November ( the first go round). The hop flavor had given way to the malt profile ( expected). The chocolate flavor had turned quite roasty. I don't recall it being that roasty before.

Now I am wondering if the first time the grain bill had 3 oz of roasted barley instead of chocolate malt . I know I ordered chocolate, but that last bottle tasted so roasty and not chocolate.

How would chocolate malt taste with about a year of age on it? Would the chocolate flavor give way to a more roasty taste? Did the hbs put more than 3 oz in that first go around? I don't know, but would like some opinions.

recipe can be found here

I put 4 oz of it in my Amber and it is roasty not chocolaty. I have never gotten chocolate flavor in that amount from using it. But I never have put it in a IPA either. So with the lighter malts it might come through more chocolate than in my Amber.

Back