Dry hopping with renewed airlock activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertros

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post to HBT, and I first just want to thank everyone on this forum for this amazing resource. I've had about a dozen instances when I was very close to posting an "I'm pretty sure I ruined my beer" post. But then I would calm down, search the threads, and realize everything was gonna be alright. My first extract brew (Williams Brewing American IPA) came out a little thin (due to some mistakes and impatience) but quite tasty.

My third extract kit (Northern Brewer's Toungesplitter Ale) has been in a secondary carboy now for 14 days. About a week ago it developed small white bodies on the surface, but after searching the forum I'm pretty convinced that they are yeast clumps, not infection. It has then started producing more CO2 bubbles on the surface, and today I have renewed airlock activity about every 15 seconds. I was just about to dryhop this batch for 7 days before bottling. My question is: should I go ahead and dryhop now, or wait until the airlock activity dies down again?

This was a 5 gal batch with an O.G. of 1.047. In primary (bucket) for 9 days at approximately 68 deg. F, but when I racked to secondary (14 days ago) my cellar temp had risen to 70 deg., and gravity was at 1.015. We're in a bit of a heat wave in Western Mass., and today the cellar is at 71.5 deg. Could that be why the airlock is taking off again?

Thanks for any input.

I just had this problem, but not with dry hopping. What happens is beer can hold a certain amount of CO2 and a certain temp. The lower the temp the more CO2 will be in the beer in the carboy. Raise the temp and the CO2 comes out of the beer until it reaches the amount it can hold at the warmer temp. When I racked from a cold primary to a room temp secondary my airlock went nutty. It was just the CO2 boiling away. It stopped once the temp stabilized.

Bill

Back