Need advice on Apricot Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so I'm not a huge wheat beer fan at all, and I've brewed zero of them. I know very little about them. But, I'm hosting another poker party/beer slugging gathering in a couple months and I know a couple of the guys at least would appreciate having something like this available. Plus, I want a good recipe I can use when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop a taste for the stuff.

I have an apricot tree that usually does very nice work. I'd like to incorporate the apricots into an annual wheat beer recipe.

Question: Would this work better as a Hefeweizen, or more of an American style clear wheat beer? With this answered, I'm sure I could find a model recipe in the database, but I'd also appreciate any other suggestions from the experts out there.

I would expect that most fruit beers may do better as a hazy Hefeweizen style beer just because the fruit will add to your particulate matter in the bottle. Also, the fruity character of Hefeweizen style yeast would accentuate your fruitiness. You'll want to be careful with the hops selection though, you don't want to overpower the apricot flavor as its pretty delicate. Don't boil the apricots either, or you'll get the pectin setting and causing a permanent chill haze that will make the beer super cloudy.

OK, so I'm not a huge wheat beer fan at all, and I've brewed zero of them. I know very little about them. But, I'm hosting another poker party/beer slugging gathering in a couple months and I know a couple of the guys at least would appreciate having something like this available. Plus, I want a good recipe I can use when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop a taste for the stuff.

I have an apricot tree that usually does very nice work. I'd like to incorporate the apricots into an annual wheat beer recipe.

Question: Would this work better as a Hefeweizen, or more of an American style clear wheat beer? With this answered, I'm sure I could find a model recipe in the database, but I'd also appreciate any other suggestions from the experts out there.

This is pretty good, and is of the American style variety. It's not typically my thing, but it is probably the SWMBO's favourite beer (especially with sushi!).

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/ourbeers/sta_apricot.htm

This is pretty good, and is of the American style variety. It's not typically my thing, but it is probably the SWMBO's favourite beer (especially with sushi!).

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/ourbeers/sta_apricot.htm

Have you ever tried to brew an apricot wheat in the style of the macauslan? It's my SWMBO's favorite too, and I would like to produce something similar to help justify all the money I am spending on gear for her!!

Just wondered if you had any advice (as I think it would still be relevant to the thread!)

Thanks

Have you ever tried to brew an apricot wheat in the style of the macauslan? It's my SWMBO's favorite too, and I would like to produce something similar to help justify all the money I am spending on gear for her!!

Just wondered if you had any advice (as I think it would still be relevant to the thread!)

Thanks

I haven't. I plan to get to one at some point this year, though. I'll try to remember to update this thread if/when I do.

Latest posts

Back