Another SNPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
One of my favorite beers to drink. Tried one clone that my LHBS put together however it was lacking IBU's and just missed the mark.

I followed Biermuncher's Nierra Sevada's recipe but did not include Carapils and the hops I used are from the SNPA site.
My SG/FG is different then BM's recipe.
Should I add Carapils or just leave out? If Carapils is added, should I reduce the amount of 2Row I am using?
Also, if I wanted to increase the maltiness a tad, cld I change the crystal to 60?

Any comments are appreciated.

BIAB/ 2.75 gal
4.75 lb Am pale 2row
.7 lb crystal 40
.1 lb acid malt
.25 oz magnum @ 60
.16 perle @ 30
1 oz cascade @ 2
Mash 153 for 60 min
mash out 170 for 10 min

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/28546/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone

you might have seen this, its been around the web a lot, but this is mine and its very popular, no carapils but thats up to you if you need more body or head, wouldn't hurt, just a tip the ibu will seem to go down by taste the more the hops you add, the hop flavor masks the bitterness

So an example you can brew a beer with 100 IBU but if you have 2LB's of hops in it, you won’t taste the bitterness

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/28546/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone

you might have seen this, its been around the web a lot, but this is mine and its very popular, no carapils but thats up to you if you need more body or head, wouldn't hurt, just a tip the ibu will seem to go down by taste the more the hops you add, the hop flavor masks the bitterness

I think I have that recipe copied somewhere. Seems like there was another recipe from you that I wanted to try.
I'll give yours a try.

That's already alot of crystal malt- 13% by my quick math. I would definitely not add more (via carapils). You can reduce the crystal malt if you want to add something else.

I assume the acid malt is for pH adjustment?

If you want to increase maltiness, adding some more malt should do it. You could try something like Munich malt or aromatic malt for more malt flavor and aroma, say a pound or so instead of all plain US two-row for the base.

Back