adding water and sink in the garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I am in the early stages of a total garage retrofit, and I have decided I am going to add a laundry sink with hot and cold water... Will make brewing sooo much easier in winter, as well as cleanup, etc...

I am wonderng if I can use an air admittance valve in the garage instead of having to run a vent stack for the drain. Any ideas on that, guys? Has anyone else added water to their garage? Anything I should be aware of code-wise?

cheers!
brrman

If you have a washer in the garage run the drain over to it, it will be vented.

Im asking around the office I work with Mechanical and Electrical Engineers.

Although codes could be different for you locally. Are you permitting this project? It might be better to call the local code official and see what they say.

yeah I will be calling to see if I need a permit after thanksgiving...
I guess I will ask them at that time.

man, simple answer! heh thanks

To answer your question though you should be able to use an AAV, I have one under my kitchen sink and was planning on doing the same thing that you are, but i am waiting untill the spring to clean out my garage/brewery.

Cheers

Use an AAV as it is used in many kitchens with a central bar with no outside vent. Don't call the local code guys, they only make life more difficult and tax the process to boot.

thebull said:
Don't call the local code guys, they only make life more difficult and tax the process to boot.

It will get even worse if they catch on and he is doing it without permits. My usual rule of thumb (and I have done a lot of remodeling) is if you are going to do something visual on the outside of your house get a permit. If you think any of your neighbors is going to cause problems (and they can) get a permit.

Is your garage heated? I would have concerns about freezing plumbing in an unheated garage in the midwest.

Back