Are you a closet nerd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Or even an unabashed open nerd?

I have always been into things like computer games and reading fantasy novels. Heck I built an 88/8 pc back in the 90s when i was like 10 for those of you who know what that is and have been building things like that ever since. Growing up, I was always able to hide this behind excelling at sports, beating people up, drinking heavily, and a tough guy facade.

Now that I am older though and more secure and married to a gorgeous woman, my nerdhood is really starting to come to fruition. I still play video games and even got my model quality wife addicted to gaming out. I have started nerding out on brewing and other craft hobbies. I have started playing role playing games like D&D, rifts, and call of chuthulu with some old military buddies I met up with. I have always had a respectable gun collection (because that is acceptably tough and cool) but now I have started a sword collection which is undeniable nerdy but I absolutely love it.

The funny thing is that I am unabashed in this. I love nerding out these days and don't care who knows. My "tough guy" friends like to make fun of me until we spar or some other "manly" activity but they don't seem to have that much of a problem with it and I enjoy nerding out with my more nerdy friends as well.

Anyone else in the same boat?

An out of the closet NERD with "the Clint" For an avatar? As my generation said, "Far Out, Dude". I can't say I'm nerdy, although iv'e had aspirations toward the more scientific mathematical aspects of life. On the otherhand, I've had some rounds in bar fights and biker brawls, so it all evens out. A High shcool math/physics teacher with tats wierd, huh?

I buit one of these and I have more ATmega328's running things like mash, fermentation, lights, heat, fish tank, etc. I build and fly r/c heli's, and planks
closet probably not,, does your beer taste strange?

pete

Swmbo and I were watching the Big Bang theory, I can't remember the episode, but the gang was playing a board game. I look over at the misses and said "I know this is going to make me sound like a nerd, but I have that board game" (talisman)

I have been trying to sell my copy of encyclopedia magica, swmbo thought they were for a video game.

And lastly I have an original Nintendo entertainment system, in the original box, foam, and plastic bags.

There are plenty more glimpses of my inner nerd.

Growing up i was nothing of the sort. In fact the exact opposite, captain of various sports teams, avid party animal, ect. Then i met my current swmbo... The quiet book worm who had been to comic con starting at a very young age. The rest is history. I have seen every star wars, fire fly, dr. Who, cowboy bebop, harry potter, lord of the rings, far scape, torchwood, sherlock, merlin and stargate episode/movie ever made. Not to mention countless british comedies and all the marvel/ comic book-to-screen movies. Im still working my way star trek. May the force be with you. Live long and prosper. Bow ties are cool.

I'm a lot less nerdy that's I was in high school. I still read fantasy novels, watch shows like Through the Wormhole and nerd out about beer, but back in the day it was computer programming, building computers, taking various electronic devices apart, chemistry kits and microscopes. I was more of a tech nerd, though, obviously. I was never into D&D or ComicCon and so ons and the what have yous.

A High shcool math/physics teacher with tats wierd, huh?

Not that weird. I'm also an inked up Science Teacher, but i'm a glutton for punishment and teach Middle School grades.

I guess we all geek out over something. That, or life just wouldn't be that much fun, would it? Everyone here has their beer thing. I don't have any reason to re-invent the wheel and build another computer nor have the time to invest in epic video games. My nerd-isms run towards what interests me now: zymurgy, scuba, aquaria, paranormal research.

Or even an unabashed open nerd?

I have always been into things like computer games and reading fantasy novels. Heck I built an 88/8 pc back in the 90s when i was like 10 for those of you who know what that is and have been building things like that ever since. Growing up, I was always able to hide this behind excelling at sports, beating people up, drinking heavily, and a tough guy facade.

Now that I am older though and more secure and married to a gorgeous woman, my nerdhood is really starting to come to fruition. I still play video games and even got my model quality wife addicted to gaming out. I have started nerding out on brewing and other craft hobbies. I have started playing role playing games like D&D, rifts, and call of chuthulu with some old military buddies I met up with. I have always had a respectable gun collection (because that is acceptably tough and cool) but now I have started a sword collection which is undeniable nerdy but I absolutely love it.

The funny thing is that I am unabashed in this. I love nerding out these days and don't care who knows. My "tough guy" friends like to make fun of me until we spar or some other "manly" activity but they don't seem to have that much of a problem with it and I enjoy nerding out with my more nerdy friends as well.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm an audio engineer. If you want to look at it this way I'm half of the A/V club. I'm pretty good with computers because of this (mainly mac, PC just doesn't get used much by me) but I don't really get in to Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, etc.

I'm all about gaming though. In fact, I realized I was playing too much because when Black Ops II came out and I quit playing MWIII I was ranked in the top 100K in the world at MW III. I grew up on the 8 bit NES and loved it so much I recently put out a chiptunes record. I go by 8 Bit Rebellion (if anyone's interested) and you can listen to the stuff at last.fm. http://www.last.fm/music/8+Bit+Rebellion/Up+Up+Down+Down+Left+Right+Left+Right+B+A+Start

Yeah, I'm a bit of a nerd, but I embrace it...

Not that weird. I'm also an inked up Science Teacher, but i'm a glutton for punishment and teach Middle School grades.

I guess we all geek out over something. That, or life just wouldn't be that much fun, would it? Everyone here has their beer thing. I don't have any reason to re-invent the wheel and build another computer nor have the time to invest in epic video games. My nerd-isms run towards what interests me now: zymurgy, scuba, aquaria, paranormal research.

I have plenty of tattoos and am a teacher as well. I teach at a post-secondary school, but still rock the tattoos every day (obviously). A great deal of my students have told me I'm their favorite instructor within the program, so either the tattoos don't matter or they really like them. Either way, I'm fine with it.

Yep, I can't get enough of Nova and similar programs, especially the episodes about physics and space.

I am something of a pragmatic nerd. I love technology, but am a late adopter of each new thing--preferring to wait for prices to drop and bugs to be worked out. I love to read, but prefer a good how-to text or scientific book over anything fiction. I don't play games because I see no intrinsic value in playing them--"You got to the next level, huh? What did you actually accomplish?" Perhaps my nerdiness is not pure, but my teenage daughter will testify that I am still a full-blown nerd.

I understand you completely. I play online games with friends. (I can't stand to play them with strangers) and a good friend HAS to get the coolest set of shoulders. Lately it's finding a rare dye set.

Really guys? This game is a fashion show to you?

For me leveling means having the HP and other stats to do battle with the next round of enemies which have more interesting actions and longer fights. It's getting to try out new attacks or abilities.

But in the end the game is still just time to spend with friends, figuring out the instance, telling jokes, whatever. If I didn't play with my friends I probably wouldn't play much at all. Sometimes I like to Jenkins the group just for laughs.

I'm a lot less nerdy that's I was in high school. I still read fantasy novels, watch shows like Through the Wormhole and nerd out about beer, but back in the day it was computer programming, building computers, taking various electronic devices apart, chemistry kits and microscopes. I was more of a tech nerd, though, obviously. I was never into D&D or ComicCon and so ons and the what have yous.

You know what's funny, I wasn't a nerd at all in school (although I was an A+ student), but I'm becoming a little geeky in my old age I think.

Yup. Nerd.

It's kind of a job requirement for an IT manager.

Homer knows me pretty well, and I wonder if you consider me a nerd/geek now?

I am a nerd and never was in the closet:eek:

Son of Grok I get your name. Read the book tons of times. Love outdoors stuff as a kid and now as a adult but while my friends were off doing their thing I was reading or trying to learn how to build something. I was 8 years old and my dad and I "built" a set of speakers. I pretty much just got in the way but I knew how a crossover worked at that age. I still have those speakers and even though they pale in quality to a new set I love to rock out with them.

Star Trek not Star Wars for me and I wanted to be Scotty. Just something about a warp core engine that I wanted on my bike:)

Still I love to hunt and camp so I do not think that being a nerd has hurt my manliness.

You know what's funny, I wasn't a nerd at all in school (although I was an A+ student), but I'm becoming a little geeky in my old age I think.

Homer knows me pretty well, and I wonder if you consider me a nerd/geek now?

IMO beer nerd/geek for sure.

But you have to watch and enjoy Firefly in order to be accepted as one of us.

I've been a nerd from day one. Played a ton of Magic, HeroQuest, Blood Bowl and D&D in high school. Been playing video games from the Atari 2600 up to my current XBox 360. And I'm equally nerdy in my love of craft beer.

IMO beer nerd/geek for sure.

But you have to watch and enjoy Firefly in order to be accepted as one of us.

I think voluntarily attending a Comic Con or a Star Trek Convention would also grant immediate entry. If you dressed up, you're not only in, but you're automatially elevated to Nerd Level-3.3

BTW - I prefer the term Geek. I don't know why, I just do.

I think voluntarily attending a Comic Con or a Star Trek Convention would also grant immediate entry. If you dressed up, you're not only in, but you're automatially elevated to Nerd Level-3.3

BTW - I prefer the term Geek. I don't know why, I just do.

Odd. I would NOT consider my wife to be a nerd or geek, but she does enjoy some of the shows, like Firefly, BSG and stuff like that.

She's even on board to maybe hit up Comic-con some day.

I may be wrong. She can understand most of the ThinkGeek stuff. Not sure if she "appreciates" it though.

Odd. I would NOT consider my wife to be a nerd or geek, but she does enjoy some of the shows, like Firefly, BSG and stuff like that.

She's even on board to maybe hit up Comic-con some day.

I may be wrong. She can understand most of the ThinkGeek stuff. Not sure if she "appreciates" it though.

I thought the same about my wife when we met. The first time I got a hint of anything else was when the teaser for the first new star trek came on and she actually squealed with delight. No really... a verbal like crow of excitement. I was like "Wtf?". She plays video games like a madwoman now too. She has her own room with her own tv and her own xbox so we don't have gaming conflicts. She also has her own steam account from which she packs away hours and hours of tropico 4, anno 2070, and DC Universe.

I thought the same about my wife when we met. The first time I got a hint of anything else was when the teaser for the first new star trek came on and she actually squealed with delight. No really... a verbal like crow of excitement. I was like "Wtf?". She plays video games like a madwoman now too. She has her own room with her own tv and her own xbox so we don't have gaming conflicts. She also has her own steam account from which she packs away hours and hours of tropico 4, anno 2070, and DC Universe.

Well you know you can't let her take over Head Nerd status! Better get yoself a pocket protector!

I wouldn't say that I was ever in the closet, but I don't think I was ever an over the top nerd/geek growing up. I was always pretty good at sports, but I always enjoyed playing D&D and gaming as well. I guess I was sort of in the middle.

I would say I've geeked out more as I've gotten older though. I still do outdoor stuff, camping and fishing, but I'm well into gaming and building computers. Also working in IT makes it hard not to be a geek.

Man, I wish I had the time to play D&D again. I only got a small taste back in school. Tried to DM a small dungeon with the kids and a friend, but it take so long to get going. Nobody has the time to spare to get in the groove.

I should just do up a VERY small 1-2 room dungeon for the young one. She's good at math so she can appreciate the dice and stats that go with the game.

I'm more of a history geek though I was a music nerd in my school days (I think marching DCI probably qualifies). Never got into comics or D&D. Not sure if I lose points for my Red Green level of engineering on most of my projects.

Closet Nerd? Nope.

I'm more of a bookshelf nerd

IMAG0365.jpg

Back