19th Annual Boneyard Brewoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
Anyone entering this competition?

Link is here:

http://www.buzzbrewclub.org/competition

I entered last year and I will say their prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the categories were pretty cool and unique, however it took way too long (IMO) for the results to be posted. A quick search of HBT shows that this is a recurring problem for this competition.

There are not a great deal of competitions in January, and shipping from NC to the West Coast can be expensive, so I am considering entering this competition again. The lengthy delay in posting the results though really turned me off. I'm hoping they get their stuff together this year but I would be surprised.

I'll probably enter a couple if I can get off my arse and do it. I have a couple potential winners waiting to be recognized. :D

Edit: Maybe not. Registration page says registration is closed. :drunk:

Haha! I'll give it a shot and see how I do. Last year though it took an unacceptable amount of time to post the results.

I guess I'll submit one or two and see how I do. I swear my beer is pretty good, just haven't won a ribbon yet in my first year of brewing :D

Don't know much about this competition other than what I've read here. Any opinions on the quality of the judging?

Since NHC is just across the river from me next year, I'd like to get something entered in this competition to see how some new recipes will score.

The sponsor list is pretty impressive. There might be some nice prizes for the winners.

So, I see that UPS didn't do any ground shipping on Monday. That means my beer will sit in a warehouse for another two days. Looked up the weather in Urbana, IL and see a low of 12 degrees. Wonder if the facility is not heated or worse, if the package is sitting in a truck outside.

Don't suppose there's a way to confirm that they don't arrive as frozen, broken bottles? :(

I mailed out three sets - a Belgian Pale Ale, an IPA, and a Porter. I don't know about prizes but last year I did nab a 1st in dark lagers category. The medals were pretty cool and engraved with the category, place, and name of the beer.

I mailed out three sets - a Belgian Pale Ale, an IPA, and a Porter. I don't know about prizes but last year I did nab a 1st in dark lagers category. The medals were pretty cool and engraved with the category, place, and name of the beer.

That Belgian pale ale is quite good! I sampled one on Saturday. Haven't had a chance to try the ipa yet and will probably give another couple weeks since my house is pretty cold during the day. The porter was great too but I definitely would half to pick the belgian as my favorite so far. I'll post pics and my half azzed attempt at reviews in the swap thread in the next couple days.

Glad to hear it! The Belgian pale ale went very quickly at my house and I had to put your bottles away so we wouldn't drink it all. Both the porter and Belgian recipes came out of Brewing Classic Styles. I agree with you on the porter - not my favorite but seems alright. The IPA...this is my first attempt at my own IPA recipe and I was a bit disappointed. I thought it came out a bit too sweet and didn't have enough malt complexity and hop complexity. All three are going to this competition so hopefully I can get some feedback on how to improve them.

Does anyone know why it takes this competition so long to post results? Year after year. Is there anyone out there affiliated with this thing?

They do this every year and there really is no good reason for it. It's very easy to update the website the next morning or post the results on their forums. The sooner they post the results the less emails they will get from people about it.

Yep it's aggravating. I'm not asking for quick turn around of score sheets - simply the results. They should have all this information on one page already from the awards ceremony. I'll give them until tomorrow and contact them, but I think I'm going to pass on this competition next year.

Save your time. I already sent emails to the 2 guys listed on their competition's site. Neither has bothered to respond. I wont be entering this competition anymore. And this was already after a 3yr hiatus.

Yep it's aggravating. I'm not asking for quick turn around of score sheets - simply the results. They should have all this information on one page already from the awards ceremony. I'll give them until tomorrow and contact them, but I think I'm going to pass on this competition next year.

Yep it's aggravating. I'm not asking for quick turn around of score sheets - simply the results.
No update on their website. Nothing posted on their forum. Can't find anything anywhere. How can a club that's been holding an event for nearly 20 years be so clueless and inconsiderate? Amazing!

They did this as well last year, although I don't think the results were delayed nearly this long. If you do a search through HBT you will come across previous years where they have done the same thing. I told myself after last year that I would need to go to a different competition in 2013 but I thought maybe had figured it out by now - totally my fault for assuming this. The entire point of a competition is to have a competition - the results are what people want to see followed by the score sheets a couple weeks later. I don't personally understand how they can organize a competition, run it, and then not post the results in a reasonable amount of time...yes, I understand that these are volunteers and they have lives and jobs, but seriously the effort to post results is miniscule compared to organizing and running the competition...

A courtesy post on their forum, "Sorry for the delay, results will be posted . . .", would be better than nothing.

Did they even hold the competition? :cross:

Ya this is ridiculous! Definitely not entering this next year. 2 emails sent...nothing! If anyone hears anything please post.

Darwin - did you get my PM about the Drunk Monk Challenge coming up in March? I urge you enter, you will not be disappointed in the competition. Be warned, it's a tough competition though, winning is not easy! And barring major technical difficulties, I guarantee that results will be posted mere minutes after the last name is announced.

I did - Thank you! Its a very well known competition and prestigious - I'll definitely be entering a few to see how they stack up!

Ya this is ridiculous! Definitely not entering this next year. 2 emails sent...nothing! If anyone hears anything please post.

As Organizer of the DMC, I check the email MANY times a day. I can't imagine not responding to emails and I cannot fathom taking this long to post results. We're pushed from every angle to run as quality a competition as possible. It seems no one is pushing these guys.

Finally got an email response:

"Results will be posted Saturday or sooner"

An entire week to post?!?! This is nuts and kinda shady....

Question for anyone who's done this competition in the past. What was your impression of the judging / scoring? Might not be the case, but I can't see putting much value in a score sheet from a club that doesn't have the competence to post a results list on the internet in a timely manner.

Could have brewed a batch of beer with the money spent on entry and shipping.

I entered two last year - a bock and a vienna lager. I thought the feedback I received was good and on par to other competitions. it really comes down to the individual judge though. The poor handling of the results and their consistency of doing this every year reflects poorly on the homebrew club.

congrats to the winners. My Dopplebock placed 2nd. Also, the wood-aged beer that took 2nd was from a barrel project down in my basement :) along with Joe Dragon who posted above.

Got a response on Saturday that they hope to have the scorecards sent out within two weeks.

Hmm. I'm interested to see the quality of my feedback. It isn't a good sign that the results took so long to post.

I received mine through gmail on January 31. I submitted a total of three beers, here are the general comments:

Belgian Pale Ale
- 1st Judge's Score: 32 (Judge Rank: National)
- 2nd Judge's Score: 33 (Judge Rank: Recognized)
- Combined Score: 32.5
- Comment Quality: All the sections were filled out and comments were helpful and appropriate. I was pleased with the quality of their score sheets.

Brown Porter
- 1st Judge's Score: 29 (Judge Rank: Recognized)
- 2nd Judge's Score: 33 (Judge Rank: National)
- Combined Score: 31
- Comment Quality: Again, solid comments. All sections filled out completely. A little miffed at the 1st judge because he scored me low but didn't offer much criticism.

IPA
- 1st Judge's Score: 25 (Judge Rank: Certified)
- 2nd Judge's Score: 26 (Judge Rank: Not Indicated)
- Combined Score: 25
- Comment Quality: Mediocre. I took the BJCP tasting exam in November, so I know that you need to completely fill out each section - not put one or two words per section. Judge #2's overall impression comment: "This beer needs to be more hop forward". Why thank you, that's all you got out that beer? What a waste...

The majority of judging was good and the feedback was helpful with the exception of the IPA. However, given their continued issues with the competition year after year, I will not be entering the Boneyard Brewoff in 2014.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like all in all you did well, I will have to check my mail again and see if I missed their response. Otherwise it sounds like a call. Thanks, and well done!

Back