beer sprays from 'out' valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
I just filled a keg with beer, pressurized and a very fine spray of beer coming from the 'out' valve. I just put on the fitting so it filled the line rather than spraying all over the floor.

So, i imagine the spring that pushes up the little metal piece to seal the valve needs to be replaced. any way that i can deal with this without taking the beer out and rebuilding the keg?

thanks for the advice

Hmm... Just re-read what I wrote. I've had a few to many already this evening... so keep that in mind. But I have been able to reseat the valves by whacking them one good time.

You can release the pressure in the keg by pulling on the relief valve. Take the leaky post off, and remove the poppet. Use a little keg lube on the black rubber of the poppet or replace it if you have a spare. Reattach to the keg and repressurize. Should take you about 2 minutes to do. The beer will be fine.

Also Clean or replace the gas in line,that filled with beer, leaving that beer in there could contaminate other batches and ruin your beers. If you leave it in there and it turns all nasty.

wop31 said:
Also Clean or replace the gas in line,that filled with beer, leaving that beer in there could contaminate other batches and ruin your beers. If you leave it in there and it turns all nasty.

Does it? Most bacteria needs O2.

Cheesefood said:
Does it? Most bacteria needs O2.

Notice the big "if" and "could" in that post as well, Are you sure that no air gets into your line while changing a keg or ball lock? thanks for pointing that out and reiterating my point though.

Cheers

these are just stopgaps. the real solution is to get a new poppet and replace it. it should then be good for years.

just out of curiosity, did you not check for leaks before you put beer in the keg?

just out of curiosity gnef, what is the checking criteria. if you have a proven reliable,properly maintained and sanitized keg?

What I do is pressurize the keg and brush a solution of Star-San over the lid and posts. Look for any bubbles that will indicate a leak.

so when i purchase a keg, i completely break it down, and replace most gaskets, and check the poppets. i clean it to the eye, and sanitize it if i feel like it. sometimes i will even polish the outside (some kegs i buy look horrible before a polish). i then do a quick leak test, similar to what was recommended above - i have a spray bottle with star san, and spray all areas that can leak, including the pressure relief valve. if it is the lid, i reseat the lid to see if that helps, if it doesn't, i try a different lid, or other solutions.

once i am satisfied that the keg won't leak, i store it upside down to dry. about a week later, i will check to see if the inside of the keg is dry or not, if it is, then i will put the lid on, and pressurize the keg with maybe 20-40 psi for long-term storage, or until i need it. when i need it, i pull on the manual pressure relief valve. at this point, i should hear pressure escaping, if i don't, i know that something is wrong, and i check it over again for leaks more stringently.

it may not seem feasible to do this to you, but i have 32 kegs, and so for me to be able to keep track of kegs, and make sure they are good when i need them down the road, this is what i've found to work the best

hope this helps!

Smack it, clean & lube, replace it. (Stop when it's working right). I have a spare poppet valve in the kit, but 15 kegs & 7 years haven't had to use it, even when I got a blackberry seed stuck in one.

really? i've had to replace numerous poppets already. most likely around a dozen at least. i now have 32 kegs though with varying degrees of use before i bought them.

Back