Displacement question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
I have a 16 qt brew pot and want to minimize the amount of extract I use and maximize the amount of grain. I have the information I need to convert whole grain recipes to partial mashes and plan on mashing in my 16 qt. brew pot the limiting factor that comes into to play is I do not know the maximum pounds of grain I can hold in my pot while still using 1.75 qt of water per pound during the mash? Maybe some experienced brewers can help me out.

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

4-5 lbs of grain will be pushing it would be my guess. And it would be just a guess btw as I have only done 2 AG mashes. I'd start with 3 lbs first then move up as you have room to be on the safe side.

I have a 16 qt brew pot and want to minimize the amount of extract I use and maximize the amount of grain. I have the information I need to convert whole grain recipes to partial mashes and plan on mashing in my 16 qt. brew pot the limiting factor that comes into to play is I do not know the maximum pounds of grain I can hold in my pot while still using 1.75 qt of water per pound during the mash? Maybe some experienced brewers can help me out.

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Each lb of grain displaces roughly .32 Qt of water.

Vmash= Mgrains(Ratio of h2o/grain + .32)
16 = Mgrains(1.75 + .32)
16/2.07=Mgrains
7.75 +/- lbs of grain can be mashed in your 16 qt kettle at 1.75 qt/lb

Each lb of grain displaces roughly .32 Qt of water.

Vmash= Mgrains(Ratio of h2o/grain + .32)
16 = Mgrains(1.75 + .32)
16/2.07=Mgrains
7.75 +/- lbs of grain can be mashed in your 16 qt kettle at 1.75 qt/lb

If you were to mash at 1.25 qt/lb, you could mash just over 10 lbs!!!

Back