PM Hoegaarden Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've looked though the recipes that are out there and can't find exactly what I want. The AG recipes look really good, but the only PM recipe I could find uses <2lbs. of grains. I don't want to use that much extract. I am looking to do a 4lb. mash plus extract. How exactly would I go about doing that? I've never done a wheat, and if I use 4lbs. in the mash I'm not sure if using all wheat extract will be too much wheat.

Thanks for the help.

Im not an expert on Hoegaarden but a lot of wheat recipes I've come across actually aim for 50% wheat, 50% barley. So, if you were to use a wheat extract, which is typically 65% wheat, and 35% barley, you wouldn't need much barley to make it an even ratio, hence the <2 lbs grain.

Make sense?

Furthermore, most wheat recipes don't necessarily rely on wheat for flavor, it's mostly the yeast and the spices.

Good luck.

Legally Belgian beers can only contain 40% wheat, while German wheat beers are required to contain at least 50%. Belgians tend to use unmalted wheat (while the German brewers always use malted wheat).

Just take a recipe that looks good and swap in more pils and flaked wheat for some of the extract, easy as that. How much you use will depend on your efficiency, feel free to post the recipe if you want a hand converting it.

Back