Starter without malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardentfrost

Reaction score
Doing my first AG beer in a couple days. As such, I forgot to buy some malt extract for a starter :(

So, what do I do? I need to make the starter tonight at minimum. Can I just use table sugar? If so, 1/2c sugar to 2c water as in DME?

Alternatively, I have two bags of priming sugar (dextrose) 3/4c each. Would it be better to use one of those?

Mash some 2 row base malt. Some people here say you can go to China Mart and get Malto Goya and use that, but I've never tried it.

If you have an activator pack or white labs vial, I'd rather pitch it as it is than do a starter with pure sugar. You'd have more yeast, but they'd be acclimated to the wrong type of sugar and have trouble with maltose. I've heard about people using Malto Goya though. Just have to decarbonate it first.

I've used Malta Goya and Malta India successfully in making starters, as well as bottle culturing. And, don't tell anyone, but I've had to make a small starter a couple of times using sugar. Yep, works in a pinch and beats under-pitching, IMO. Cat may be correct though, in that it may not like maltose as much as it should...

I've used Malta Goya and Malta India successfully in making starters, as well as bottle culturing. And, don't tell anyone, but I've had to make a small starter a couple of times using sugar. Yep, works in a pinch and beats under-pitching, IMO. Cat may be correct though, in that it may not like maltose as much as it should...

Glad to know that the Malto Goya really works. I usually try to squeak out an extra quart or two from the mash tun, cool and freeze it for later use though. I'm not much for buying DME any more.

How do you use the malta goya? Do you dilute it? Boil it?

boil it and dilute it 2:1 (goya : water) because the OG of goya is 1.060 IME. stir the crap out of it while boiling to decarbonate.

works like a champ, just make sure to cold crash and decant; especially if you are pitching into a lighter beer.

some organic places also sell malt extract in a jar...not sure why but it's REALLY effing expensive.

How do you use the malta goya? Do you dilute it? Boil it?

Depends... Sometimes I will dilute it with water, other times I won't, especially if I'm planning on pitching it into a higher gravity wort. I typically don't boil it, though. It is already cooked and as sterile as it is going to be, IMO. I don't know what the benefit of boiling it would be, actually... It will decarb on its own, just open a little and put it into the fridge a couple of days, maybe add a little piece of plastic wrap over it if you're concerned. Or you can put it into a large container and shake it up then vent and repeat.

Malta Goya and India are pretty dark so you should definitely decant if you are planning on a light wort. I typically decant on any of my starters. I figure why add flavors to a wort I've spent so much time on.

I boil the dilution water, 10 min or so, then add the Goya and boil for a couple of minuets more to de-carbonate it. Crash cool it in an ice bath, and it's good to go.

Back