swivel nuts and co2 leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch and noticed that there was clearly a big leak in my swivel nut. I was able to seat the lid I think, and I'm naturally carbing this keg so it's not a big deal, but need to figure this out for the future.

The leak makes sense since there is nothing between the barb and the nut--I tried adding some teflon tape but that didn't help. What do I need to keep the swivel nut from leaking? Thanks.

Just kegged my first batch and noticed that there was clearly a big leak in my swivel nut. I was able to seat the lid I think, and I'm naturally carbing this keg so it's not a big deal, but need to figure this out for the future.

The leak makes sense since there is nothing between the barb and the nut--I tried adding some teflon tape but that didn't help. What do I need to keep the swivel nut from leaking? Thanks.

Teflon tape won't work, since it's not the threads that seal in this type of fitting. There should be nothing between the barb and the nut, either. The seal is formed between the inside of the barb and the fitting that the swivel nut is being screwed into.

marzsit has the correct solution; find some of the white nylon washers... This is the best pic I could find (the piece on the right):

nutandstem.jpg

Back