Chrome plated brass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBeer44

Reaction score
Is chrome plated brass safe to use in my keggle. I am thinking about using a water supply line for a toilet as the pick-up. thanks for the help. Pat

I wonder how many heat/cool cycles it would take to make the chrome flake off the brass underneath.

You would think that the two metals would expand and contract at different rates and eventually the chrome would fall off

ive thought about this too...however most of the time the chrome plated brass fittings/valves are used for cold water only. aka ice makers, toilet supplies, ect. my thoughts were similar to above and the heat would cause the chrome to crack and flake. i sau follow the below instructions, and use regular brass if you dont want to go stainless

A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature.

The fitting is definitely made for cold water. Lowes, love that store by the way, sells a compression fitting that attaches directly to my 1/2 brass nipple, and to a water supply line. I thought i could save some time and just use that, but it seems like i should just stick with a copper pick-up. Once again again proving anything worth brewing is worth brewing right! thanks for the advise all.

Back