Bluegrass/folk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
Anyone into this music catch the CD by Steve Martin? The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo. Pretty good actually, at first I thought it was a joke but apparently the old comedian is an old hand with the banjo. Never knew it.

Amazon.com: The Crow New Songs for the 5-String Banjo: Steve Martin: Music

He even played banjo on Earl Scruggs remake of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown".

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

I've seen some older clips of him playing banjo, maybe from SNL. Seemed like a decent player.

Music wise, I loves the Bluegrass. A lot of the lyrics I can do without, no matter how good the harmonies.

I don't necessarily like to listen to bluegrass, but have played the 5-string, Scrugg's style and melodic, for 32 years.

There's something very calming about playing the banjo.

I haven't heard the CD but I've known Steve was a player for years. I'm a huge BG fan and play banjo, mandolin and guitar. I also attend 3 major BG festivals each year. These are 5-day camping events. Pick and drink all night long. Sleep a few hours in the morning, get up and do it again. What a blast!

Yep, saw him play many years back, and it blew me away. he has been playing for forever, and is considered a very good player (Although I don't know how one can tell...)

I like bluegrass ok, so I might look this one up. I hear that the end of the CD he has a track that is just him talking. He asks if you enjoyed the album, and then says, "Well, EXCUUUUUUUUSE ME!!"

j/k

saw him about 35 yrs ago when he was on the college circuit. was really good on the banjo (but not as good as Earl Scruggs who we also saw) and could make balloon animals like crazy.

Yep, solid player, though when he trades solos with the likes of Earl Scruggs or Pete Wernick, you can tell who really plays banjo for a living. I think the best thing about him playing (and he's a better musician than I am, so no criticism intended) is the way he continually uses his fame to shine a little extra light on some great musicians who don't get a ton of attention.

Back