Stanley Cup Playoffs 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting this thread to discuss, banter,tease and talk trash about everything Stanley cup playoff related including the last few games of the regular season.

It's of course in the Drunken ramblings for obvious reasons, like I'm sure many of us will be uh.. drinking during playoffs and damn it, when you are talking sports you should be able to swear. (I wish we had an option to turn off the swear filter).

In case you don't know.. Canucks fan here.

logo01-705323.gif

Crazy race in the west, so many close races.

wow, I didn't know the NHL still existed....sorry....too easy of a shot!

I'm still mad at ownership in Phx for breaking up the team we had that actually had a shot (I'd spell there names but I'm :drunk: and they were mostly American!): Keith R., Jeremy R., etc...

After watching the coyotes play for the last six months (even though they did whip the canucks last time they played), I can't wait to see some playoff hockey!

ya know all you hacks from the world that dont like hockey can just suck on my cox!

now lets see how the red wings do this year(prays for good goaltending)

ya know all you hacks from the world that dont like hockey can just suck on my cox!

now lets see how the red wings do this year(prays for good goaltending)

yeah, what he said.

Ozzy's lookin toughh out there right now, lets hope he keeps it going.

Canucks won tonight. Glad to see they will be IN the playoffs this year. They're looking pretty good to.

Glad to see Lou is finally back on his game after that groin injury. Hoping Sundin steps it up a notch come playoff time. Good, big player but so far not really matching that huge contract amount..

Any other 'Nucks fans on here? Looking like it will be a Canucks - Blackhawks matchup. Hard to say, points are all so close.

Wonder if Pyatt will make it back for the playoffs. Gotta be rough losing your fiance that you have been with for 11 years.

I am very happy that after a 5 year drought the Blues are in the hunt this year. We've had a rash of injuries to our top players but some of the kids stepped up to make a season of it.

If they win their last 2 games they are in, It is good to control your own destiny.

It is great to be obsessing on the standings again in April!

Sheeesh..I live in Minnesota and didn't even realize they still played hockey professionally anymore. Thought the babies took their puck and went home back in 2004?

i do want to say welcome to maybe a new member in the april/may players league hi bluejackets welcome to your 1st playoffs ever, so much better than golf this time of year huh?

I am not a hockey person, but I have had a lot of fun watching the Blues. They are an exciting young team. I would like to see them make it and see if they can play the same against the top teams.

I'm a Pens fan all the way. Hopefully this year has a better result than last year! Since the coaching change the Pens look damn good.

I'd really like to see the Bruins or 'Hawks win the cup this year, I think it would be good for the sport.

PRT1995.jpg

I just hope that the Sharks manage to make it to the conference finals so I can wear my Wings jersey to the Shark Tank and watch the Wings knock them out of the playoffs... AGAIN.

drake_060408.jpg

Nuff said:rockin:

Yeah, but the Wings are looking major sucky right now. Can't win a game, even if they're ahead through the first 2 periods.

Love the Wings, but if they don't start playing like they're serious, they'll be out early.

I guess we all need a little of this, for good luck:
DSCF0576.jpg

Eo, what do you mean by "good for the sport?"

I think that what people generally think of as "good for the sport" is degrading it.

Chicago & Boston used to be really crazy for hockey, not so much nowadays. If either one of these teams won the cup it would put hockey back on the radar for a lot of people.

I guess the same could be said for the Rangers, but "f" the Rangers.

I just wish the NHL could of worked something out with ESPN, it was such a blow to the sport when Versus took over national broadcasting.

Chicago & Boston used to be really crazy for hockey, not so much nowadays. If either one of these teams won the cup it would put hockey back on the radar for a lot of people.

I just wish the NHL could of worked something out with ESPN, it was such a blow to the sport when Versus took over national broadcasting.

My friend, I completely disagree with this viewpoint.

ESPN can kiss my arse. I'm glad they don't have hockey on their evil scourge of a network.

A lot of people seem to equate "good for the sport" with "more people watching it on TV." I don't. Changing our beloved hockey to give it more appeal to the lumbering masses is the best way to destroy it.

Who cares if it is not as popular as basketball or American football? Those sports freaking bo-ring. Too much scoring in basketball and not enough action in American football.

Now as for the Rangers, I hate them as well. I was a semi-fond of this team until they acquired Sean Avery. This guy needs to be taken out back and shot. (not literally of course, but a good arse kicking is certainly in order)

Not sure about Boston, but things are MUCH different in Chicago since old man Wirtz died.

Blackhawks are the talk of the town since.

Chicago’s current number of 827,425 fans this season is through 38 regular-season contests at the United Center and does not include the 40,818 that attended NHL Winter Classic 2009 at Wrigley Field on Jan. 1. Overall, the Blackhawks, who lead the league with an average of 22,262 fans per home game this season, have drawn 39 capacity crowds in 39 home dates and 42 consecutive dating back to the end of last season.

Chicago Blackhawks - News: Blackhawks To Set 82 Year-Old Franchise Attendance Record Wednesday - 04/07/2009

My friend, I completely disagree with this viewpoint.

Now as for the Rangers, I hate them as well. I was a semi-fond of this team until they acquired Sean Avery. This guy needs to be taken out back and shot. (not literally of course, but a good arse kicking is certainly in order)

Like this?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g337qq0Wzvc]YouTube - Brian McGrattan Attacking Sean Avery![/ame]

How about this?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOUWXgFvNIY]YouTube - Darcy Hordichuk beats up Sean Avery[/ame]

I respect your opinion but disagree, with attendance declining the NHL needs all the help it can get. The NHL needs casual fans and without a "major" network it loses exposure to the masses. I think hockey is by far the most exciting sport to watch live or on TV and would benefit from ESPN coverage.

BTW The game has changed so much over the last ten years from all of the rule changes and such many consider it already "destroyed".

Anyways hopefully this will be a great post season, it looks like there could be some really good matchups. :mug:

I respect your opinion but disagree, with attendance declining the NHL needs all the help it can get. The NHL needs casual fans and without a "major" network it loses exposure to the masses. I think hockey is by far the most exciting sport to watch live or on TV and would benefit from ESPN coverage.

BTW The game has changed so much over the last ten years from all of the rule changes and such many consider it already "destroyed".

Anyways hopefully this will be a great post season, it looks like there could be some really good matchups. :mug:

The "NHL?" You mean the owners, the media, and overpaid athletes? They need more help lining their pockets? C'mon man, stop drinking the Kool-Aid. To whom does it matter that hockey is not as popular as other sports? The monied interests, that's who. And theirs is pretty much the only voice heard.

Don't misunderstand this to mean that I don't like the NHL. It is the pinnacle of the sport. But as I said earlier, more fans does not mean better hockey.

I apologize for going off on a rant like this. This subject may well belong in the debate forum but it is near and dear to my heart. And yes, I'm one of those who believe some of the recent rule changes are bullcrap.

The shoot out? JFC, it is an abomination to decide the outcome of a team sport with an individual talent contest. Of course it is exciting to watch but so is a train wreck.

Sorry about the duplicate posts. I'm not sure how that happened but think it correctly expresses my enthusiasm at this point.

hoping for blackhawks home ice against the canucks in the first round.

Yeah, that way we will be on home ice for the sweep. :D

What would be good for the sport? How about firing that ass Bettman, and adding back some missing Canadian teams. Also, how about shock treating some of the Eastern Conference owners. You know, the ones who want wider nets and double digit scores.

The shoot out? JFC, it is an abomination to decide the outcome of a team sport with an individual talent contest. Of course it is exciting to watch but so is a train wreck.

Totally agree. The goalies hate it, most hot shot scoreres hate it because they usually sucl at shoot outs.

Latest posts

Back