Maybe it's just the Irish in me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
Everytime I have some sort of medical problem and the doctors say not to drink, I really dont listen to them. I had to have gum grafts two days ago to correct a problem from my braces as a kid, so I have to big wounds in my mouth right now. The doc says that drinking any kind of alcohol will slow down my recovery time......I see his lips moving but I dont hear any words coming out. I've been out of work for three days now, SWMBO is off with her GF's for a weekend trip and I'm sitting at home drinking my face off. The big incision (sp?) in the roof of my mouth is killing me but this big box of beers I just picked up is going to down so great. Why can't I for once just listen to the doctors? Oh well....it's friday and I'm buzzing so here here :mug:

Everytime I have some sort of medical problem and the doctors say not to drink, I really dont listen to them. I had to have gum grafts two days ago to correct a problem from my braces as a kid, so I have to big wounds in my mouth right now. The doc says that drinking any kind of alcohol will slow down my recovery time......I see his lips moving but I dont hear any words coming out. I've been out of work for three days now, SWMBO is off with her GF's for a weekend trip and I'm sitting at home drinking my face off. The big incision (sp?) in the roof of my mouth is killing me but this big box of beers I just picked up is going to down so great. Why can't I for once just listen to the doctors? Oh well....it's friday and I'm buzzing so here here :mug:

Whiskey is Irish Painkiller

I can't scold you about drinking and I won't but I can give you a little hint about healing mouth sores quickly. Vitamin C. Take a couple and dissolve a couple in some warm water and gently gargle with it. Vitamin C has an amazing ability to heal mouth sores and gums very fast and helps with pain.

Did they give you a prescription for 'special' mouthwash? I did the same thing when I had three plates put in my cheek (they cut and did it up through my cheek, entering through the mouth). Drink and relax, just remember to rinse with it before bed to kill any nasties- :mug:!

Dude, I'm half Irish so I fully understand what we inherited. You didn't say it but I'm figuring your doctor prescribed antibiotics for whats going on and if thats the case your screwing yourself. Antibiotics are ineffective when you add alcohol. I know it sucks but a 10 day break is a good thing if you have internal issues. Stop drinking and do what your woman would do to you. Call her and say " Boy it sure is boring home alone without you.. My mouth really hurts .. I wish I could have a beer.. Bet your having fun with your friends huh? Oh well I'm gonna go to bed early ..Luv you too honey.. ok goodnight.When she gets home play the part like she would and SCORE!!!

Every time that I'm prescribed a new med, the first thing that I do is to call my father (who's 1/2 German and 1/2 Irish descent), a retired pharmacist, and ask him if I can drink on it.
Surprisingly, there are only a handful of antibiotics that you should absolutely not drink on. Most of the rest, it may not be recomended, but it's really not going to hurt you.

Hey I know what you mean. I was told to take meds for cholesterol but have not started because they are real hard on the liver. Well I treat the little guy [liver] bad enough and am trying to lower my chol naturally. What we go through for our beer.

Hey I know what you mean. I was told to take meds for cholesterol but have not started because they are real hard on the liver. Well I treat the little guy [liver] bad enough and am trying to lower my chol naturally. What we go through for our beer.
Statin drugs are over prescribed, I cut up fresh cloves of garlic let it sit a minute or two so theres the chemical change that produces allicin, then chase it down with a homebrew. I also take a fish oil tab with every meal.

A couple of years ago, I went in for a blood test, and my cholesterol was around 190 +/-. I started taking a couple of herbs called Guggullipid(sold as Guggul) and Red Yeast Rice, along with Fish Oil. Within six months, my count had dropped down to under 120, and I really hadn't changed my diet at all...or my drinking habits ! :mug:

Antibiotics are ineffective when you add alcohol.

Actually that's only part true. There are several antibiotics that are affected by alcohol, any penicillin based antibiotic won't notice if you drink or not. metronidazole should never be combined with alcohol. It really depends on which antibiotic you're taking. If you're concerned about possible interactions talk to a pharmacist about your meds.

Meds and alcohol. Two of my favourite words when included in the same sentence! I never post without 'em! :D

YES SIR!!!! Well I had to go back to see the doc cause I was bleeding like former virgin. I had been drinking like the irish man I am, and he didn't seem to notice. So now I'm a few stictches heavier and doing just fine. I love the feeling I get from percocet and alcohol........Love you guys:cross:
Dan

Back