Maltier Hoppier "Yellow" Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enderwig

Reaction score
Just thought I would post this up, it's my first batch of this recipe and its a great tasting beer.

I had some nearly year old vienna left over that needed to be turned into beer, so I figure vienna - tett SMaSh. That is, until I realize, I really don't have enough vienna, or enough tett, to make a decent gravity beer. I have been brewing a bunch of smaller beers lately, and I really wanted something heftier.

I decided that since I wasn't going to SMaSH it, I might as well stick with all german ingredients.

7 1/4# vienna
2 3/4# pils
1/2oz perle @ 60
1/2oz tett @ 45
1/2oz tett @ 20
1/2oz tett @ 0
german ale/Kolsch yeast (wlp029)

og: 1.053
fg: 1.013

Mashed at 153 to retain a little body since there are no specialty malts.
"Lagered" for 4 weeks

I'm having my first glass right now, (bottled 5 weeks), and the first thing that pops in my head is, thats a maltier hoppier "yellow" beer.
If your looking for an easy drinking pint with some serious flavor, give this a shot.

:tank:

(p.s. If your punching this into beersmith, it's a specialty beer, doesn't really fit anywhere.)

Sounds similar to Pinkus Münstersch Alt, a blonde ale. Depending on the alphas of your hops, it would fit all the numbers for a blonde.

Looks very nice. I've never had a beer with that high a percentage of Vienna. I like rye to add a bit extra to my small beers.

I wonder if using a Belgian yeast with this would give it some esters that would be pleasant.

I think I'll give it a try, just because I like a summer beer with a bit of flavor, but more interesting than a regular blonde.

I'm not a fan of low gravity belgians. I find the yeast flavor very difficult to balance out without a nice fat grain bill.... not saying it can't be done.. just relating my experience...

I made this US-05 since there is no LHBS near me to buy Kolsch yeast w/o mail-order. Turned out really well and I hope to try it again with Kolsh yeast before the cold weather ends my seasonal brewing.

Can you tell me how you ""Lagered" for 4 weeks"" ? Was this prior to carbing the beer or after?

I made this US-05 since there is no LHBS near me to buy Kolsch yeast w/o mail-order. Turned out really well and I hope to try it again with Kolsh yeast before the cold weather ends my seasonal brewing.

Can you tell me how you ""Lagered" for 4 weeks"" ? Was this prior to carbing the beer or after?

I put lagered in quotes because its an ale yeast, so it isn't really lagered. I held it just above freezing for about four weeks before carbing. If you're not on a kegging setup, you'll need to add back a bit of yeast to achieve carbonation in the bottles.

I do have a large keezer to cold condition the beer. Thus from what you have said I should try keeping this kegged (w/o connecting the gas other than to seal the keg) for 4 weeks prior to turning on the gas to carb. Is this the correct idea? I have received many compliments on your recipe recently and will be sending a few growlers with a buddy to a wedding this weekend.

Transferred this to my keg today and placed it in the keezer. Should I let it sit for 4 weeks w/o the gas attached or go ahead and carb up now at 12 psi set it and forget it method?

Great beer. I brewed Yooper's version with -05 but may try it with K-97 soon.

Back