Source for 30 Gallon Kettles (20 Gallon Batches)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheel4985

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a source for reasonably priced 30-40 gallon kettles. I've seen the ones from Stout tanks and they are nice, but a little out of our price range. I'm sure there are other 20 gallon brewers out there, so what do you guys use?

Once you go that big, things get $$$ real quick. I assume there's more than one person in your group...you'll probably need to split the cost. Probrewer.com might be a good source for you.

I was wondering if anyone had a source for reasonably priced 30-40 gallon kettles. I've seen the ones from Stout tanks and they are nice, but a little out of our price range. I'm sure there are other 20 gallon brewers out there, so what do you guys use?

our group uses the megapots from northernbrewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapots
they're good quality and reasonably priced. right now we're using a 15 and 25 gallon to do 30 gallon batches. I think they only make up to a 25 gallon though. we're talking about getting another 25 gallon to do 40 gallon batches. much bigger of a pot and I think heating and cooling might be a bit tricky with the equipment we have. I'd like to hear what other guys use for 40+ gallon batches

our group uses the megapots from northernbrewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapots
they're good quality and reasonably priced. right now we're using a 15 and 25 gallon to do 30 gallon batches. I think they only make up to a 25 gallon though. we're talking about getting another 25 gallon to do 40 gallon batches. much bigger of a pot and I think heating and cooling might be a bit tricky with the equipment we have. I'd like to hear what other guys use for 40+ gallon batches

The 25 gallon is a pretty decent price but for a 20 gallon boil we'd need a 30-40 gallon pot. I guess splitting it up into 2 vessels isn't out of the question, just a little inconvenient.

Other than being Aluminum, the Sam's Club pots seem like the best deal. 30 gallon pot for $140 is hard to pass up. Does anyone know the diameter of the 120 qt?

On a somewhat related note, for those of you using the Stout tanks, do you use Tri Clamp fittings on all your equipment? One of the biggest hang-ups for me in purchasing the 1BBL Stout tanks is that I'd have to convert all my 1/2" camlocks to Tri Clamps, which would be rather costly on its own. Does anyone who owns the Stout tanks have any experience switching over to Tri Clamps?

The 25 gallon is a pretty decent price but for a 20 gallon boil we'd need a 30-40 gallon pot. I guess splitting it up into 2 vessels isn't out of the question, just a little inconvenient.

it is and I agree. my buddies and I are at the point where we must decide what will be the most cost effective and efficient to do 40 gallon batches. so far using 2 kettles works for us for 30 gallons but 40? still undecided. wish I could offer more but it sounds like we're in the same boat

I know that many brewers use it without any problems, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy an aluminum pot. We decided just to add a 4th converted keg for the time being and use our old SQ14 burner in addition to the 3-burner stand. So back-to-back batches should work fine for doing 20 gallons total, without too much added time.

It would be great to move up to a 1BBL system down the road but there are so many other considerations that drive the price up (new fittings, new pumps, larger/wider stand, etc.), not to mention the cost of the 1BBL vessels themselves.

So did you pay the 25 grand list price or the 11 grand "direct" price?

I went with the "brew in the kitchen at my church route". They have a sweet kitchen. Next to the braiser is a six burner commercial stove that I set my Keggle (HLT) on. The "Abby Dopplebock" will go into secondaries tomorrow.

It would be great to brew in a commercial kitchen. Lots kinds of space. Heavy duty equipment. Stainless everywhere. That's great you have access to such equipment. Do you ferment at the church too or do you take it home?

It really is great since it allows me to do it indoors with a group. House kitchens get tight when brewing.

I ferment/bottle at home. There is always a lot going on there and it is easier to just take it home and make use of my basement.

Back