Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep asking every store I travel to if they have it but never do. They've only ever heard of it. :confused:

we just had it make it out here. the SN rep said only 60 or so cases made it to the whole state and its doubtful it makes it through the week. I thought it was great, really mellow for as big as the OG/IBUs are

It's VERY tasty, had it over at Ubermick's place on Saturday (thanks G!). First beer of the afternoon, at 10% it was a good calibration beer.

Not sure why, but this one was a bit of a disappointment. The high ABV was a bit much. It reminded me of a hoppy Bigfoot. It didn't seem to come together as an IIPA.

I tend to like SN, so I was surprised I didn't like it. Oh well!

The high ABV was only a factor at the end of the bottle for me. Definitely a beer to be shared. Sipped on this for a couple of hours before I finally finished, but enjoyed it very much.
The hop character is very delicate for such a high IBU beer, not the punch in the mouth that I had expected, very good.
I'm glad that i ran across a large lot of these at Central Market in S. Austin, bought a couple more bottles to store for a rainy day and one for a co-worker in exchange for a bottle of DFH 120 (once it comes out).

IMG_20110131_195724.jpg

Had it last night, very tasty! Definitely glad I shared the bottle though, I think I may be feeling it this morning if I drank the whole thing

I picked up a bottle today. The guy at the beer store said the distributor services 54 counties and only had gotten 9 cases of it.

my home boy in pa said his area only got two cases and his syore was getting one of them. Since he is a hop head i told him to keep it for himself.

Goes down waaaay too easy for a 10% beer.

Very, very flavorful and aromatic. The bittering levels felt right on to me.

I seriously couldn't taste the 10%, but I felt it later. Not much alcohol "heat" detectable at all, pretty amazing.

That said, I still prefer the SN Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop Harvest ale over anything else I've had from SN. Given the choice between the two, I would pick the Wet Hop every time.

Back