Saturday Brew Log....not smooth at all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Bought a cream ale kit on fri from lhbs.

When sanitizing i broke the hydrometer, slipped out of my hand, I thought that would be the only mishap. I was wrong.

As I was putting the Air Lock on the bucket, the rubber thing broke and fell into the wort. Upon getting my other lid and air lock together, i wondered "I should probably get that out." So I did a bad thing...stuck my hand in there and found it.

I hope this doesn't present any problems, I used long gloves that were soaked in sanitizer solution for a few minutes.

I think we all make mistakes during the learning process. I find it happens to me if I get rushed or don't have everything all planned out and laid out in sequence.

I plopped a stopper into my Carboy.... I have no Idea how I'll ever get that thing out....

Your beer is probably just fine. You will know in 3 weeks when you go to bottle or keg it.

Doesn't seem like o bad of a brew day. broken hydrometer..it will most likely happen again. and a rubber grommet falling through..Next time just leave it. It should have been sanitized with the lid so no worries. just put a new one one.

I guess it not all that bad. As of 2pm fermentation started (a few bubbles here and there), and the pre-yeast pitching sample tasted great but you could really taste the extract. WIll that change over time or not? This is my last 3 gal boil, I'm going to move up to 5!

I plopped a stopper into my Carboy.... I have no Idea how I'll ever get that thing out...

I've done that! Sadly, more than once! Use a metal coat hanger with the end bent back in a "V". Stab it through the hole until the end of the "V" comes out the other side. It takes a little time to get the "v" the right size to pop through and grab it. Be sure to drink a nice tasty beer while you are doing it.

Back