makeshift airlock? help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ummm_beer

Reaction score
I can't find my airlock. 5 min left on boil. any ideas on how to make something that will work till tomorrow when I can go to the homebrew store and get a new one?? thanks

I can't find my airlock. 5 min left on boil. any ideas on how to make something that will work till tomorrow when I can go to the homebrew store and get a new one?? thanks

Just use a 4 inch square of plastic wrap taped over the hole...with one side not taped. It will keep the stuff out...but let the CO2 escape. It'll be fine.

do you have your tubing for your siphoning? You can stick that tubing in your hole (where the airlock goes) and stick the other end into a pitcher of water/sanitizer.

put your finger over the hole (after you sanitize it of course) and when you feel a lot of pressure, move your finger off the hole for just a split second. Hold that position until fermentation is done. ;)

Or do what BierMuncher and/or YooperBrew suggested. A little easier...

Thanks for clarifying... :D

Hey, I drink you know? It made sense in my little pea brain at the time!

:mug:

Either of those ideas would work just fine- just do whichever is easiest for you until you can get an airlock. With proper sanitation, there is very little risk to your beer as long as you keep it covered and allow the co2 to escape.

Latest posts

Back