New Brewery Logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
EDIT: (10/15/08)

Well, after some more piddling, I think I have finally come to a final brewery name and logo.

I want it to look "old school" and my wife mentioned making the logo/label seem more "hand made/home brewed" to go along with the brew. Plus I really want easy manipulation and printing.

This logo/label fits all of those criteria IMO. I have printed them on paper bags (cut them down to 8 1/2 x 11 for easy laser jet printing) to give the "hand made/home brewed" feel and look really great to me. As far as easy manipulation, the lettering in the "flag" for the brews name is easily altered for whatever brew is being bottled. Additionally I have another version without the small "Bottled on: ______" in the bottom right corner. Since I do not have the big pipeline, this is not necessary as of yet.

Lastly these are applied vertically, not horizontally as shown. Again my wife, an Interior Designer with much better aesthetic sensibilities than most, gave me this idea.

Without further ado here is the new (and final :tank:) logo:

2944688555_d9cd652407_o.png

And the winterfest label:

2944693129_2c2c5fe9da_o.jpg

2943111264_e84c3f92e7.jpg

Classic look, makes me feel like I'd be cracking open an historically tasty beer.

I like the logo, but I feel like the black-on-red border in the first one needs work. Beyond the raster issue, I mean. Seems like the red is too fat and the black too skinny. The border in the second looks more appealing to me.

But that's a nit-picky issue... I think the logo itself looks great, very 1800s German. I like it.

Thats a really nice looking label, the only thing I dont like is that the "HILGERT BRAUERIE" going down the sides is a little hard to read with just a quick glance. Nice work though :mug:

Thanks for the ideas; I too was wondering about the vertical lettering-- any ideas on how to maybe make it "pop"more? Maybe outline the lettering in the red color?

These are definitely still a work in progress, so your insight/feedback is appreciated.

As I look at them, I am considering just going with the rectangular logo and bypassing the circle aspect, although r2eng I like the overlap. I really only feel comfortable with ms paint-- I downloaded gimp but I had no idea where to even begin. This leads me to simplicity in design, i.e. the rectangle. But, I really do like the look of it too. It prob needs to be tweaked a little too though. I did print a grayscale copy of the boxy logo, and think it is a decent start to something that will be great in my eyes.

Oh, and I am going for the old/classic German look- glad I got that part right it seems! :)

Your rectangular label is nice... maybe shrink the bird just a wee bit...

You did this in Paint? You are indeed a patient man!

r2eng, I do not know if I am patient, or just too stubborn to learn a more powerful program.

Masshole, what is much better?

And here is the logo again with a few tweaks. Does the "Hilgert Brauerei" work now, or should I try again? Trying to add a red outline to the yellow lettering would be my ideal I think, but it is a pain to try and do that with curved lettering.

2787684350_7388a5dc83.jpg

And two more... I am happy with the main eagle/HB design, but I think I will keep playing to see if I can really make it seem "finished".

2787812346_a129b14cc9.jpg

2786957561_f731607a9c.jpg

OOOO! Me likey! The shield designs are sharp!

The first thing here is to keep the red and yellow separated... two primary colors together can be tiring on the eyes. Second, use the colors as highlights, and not base colors. Maybe try white ribbons with black text, or the reverse (black ribbons with white text). You are really close! Nice job!

Print a few out and stick 'em on a bottle. That'll tell you for sure.

Eric

For a sharp logo you really need a vector program (such as Illustrator or Photoshop although there are a couple free ones) to clean up the pixelation. Otherwise you're going to have to fix it each and every time. I like the shield designs although the circle with a greater overlap could have worked well too.

Well, after some more piddling, I think I have finally come to a final brewery name and logo.

I want it to look "old school" and my wife mentioned making the logo/label seem more "hand made/home brewed" to go along with the brew. Plus I really want easy manipulation and printing.

This logo/label fits all of those criteria IMO. I have printed them on paper bags (cut them down to 8 1/2 x 11 for easy laser jet printing) to give the "hand made/home brewed" feel and look really great to me. As far as easy manipulation, the lettering in the "flag" for the brews name is easily altered for whatever brew is being bottled. Additionally I have another version without the small "Bottled on: ______" in the bottom right corner. Since I do not have the big pipeline, this is not necessary as of yet.

Lastly these are applied vertically, not horizontally as shown. Again my wife, an Interior Designer with much better aesthetic sensibilities than most, gave me this idea.

I will try and get a pic of one applied to the bottle asap, but for now... without further ado here is the new (and final :tank:) logo:

2941905743_b3b4fb001f_o.jpg

Crisco... go ahead and use the german; the label/logo above and below are what I am officially using.

And here is the new label on the bottle:

2943111264_e84c3f92e7.jpg

coming along well! I might tone the yellow down a bit to more of a straw color -- I suspect you are going for a german flag look but I think it's a bit much.

LOL I don't even know how you did that in paint. I recommend downloading inkscape; it is an open source vector editor (adobe illustrator is a commercial vector editor). It allows you to create your bird, your lettering, etc, all as seperate layers, and to move, rotate, resize, change colors, or do whatever you want with each of them until it's tweaked the way you want it. You can add borders to basically anything, including your curved lettering, (whatever color you want) just by clicking. You can add gradients and transparency too. The internet has tutorials and help files that are very useful.

A4J... I believe the aged factor comes from the logo font itself (it appears "deteriorated), the reuse of grocery paper bags (they are more coarse and not as uniform as a piece of copy paper, so the laser jet doesn't hit every single portion of the paper), and also the use of the milk "glue".

To goplayoutside and others, you must have missed the two above posts with my final labels; I am not using the "germanesque" color logo any longer. See above for final logo/label.

Additionally, I edited the first post in order to try and help anyone else that may miss the most current logo/labels that were posted on this page.

I figured when I posted I should post in this thread again, as opposed to starting a whole new thread for "my new logo" yet another time...

Thanks, I appreciate it! I am quite pleased- I already whipped up labels for my Oatmeal Stout and American Amber too. I tweaked the Winter Fest as well, so it was easier to read.

As far as the "classic" look, I drew inspiration from this 1920's-30's era Chicago brewery label...

2945151522_70538574b9_o.jpg

A4J... I believe the aged factor comes from the logo font itself (it appears "deteriorated), the reuse of grocery paper bags (they are more coarse and not as uniform as a piece of copy paper, so the laser jet doesn't hit every single portion of the paper), and also the use of the milk "glue".

Oh, I know that the font is deteriorated. I've used that same font (Marcelle) on a couple different projects before. You have a bunch of brown spots all over and that's specifically what I was wondering about. I like your use of grocery bags. It gives a great look to the label.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

A4J I really believe the "spotting" comes from the milk "glue" and the reused grocery bags... I just applied the glue more liberally to some areas to see what would happen; and what you see is the result.

Nyer, first off go to dafont.com-- they have about a gazillion :) free fonts. Find one you like, and then manipulate and play with it in ms paint. MS Paint isn't very sophisticated, but if you take your time, you can actually do fairly decent things with it IMO.

I found some font I like on dafont.com but when I download it and then open it it is just a large page of words. I can't do anything with it???

I found some font I like on dafont.com but when I download it and then open it it is just a large page of words. I can't do anything with it???

Assuming you use windows:
Start>settings>control panel>Fonts

Drag and drop the font file into the fonts folder. It should appear in the font list of whatever program you fancy.

Back