Pear Cider Method Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So I want to make a Kopparberg Pear. I have never tasted it, my buddy wants it and seeing how much he seemed to like it makes me think that I might like it as well. Now the hard part. Due to the fact that you cant buy 5gal of pear juice, atleast not in my area, how do I get all this juice. Now my only thought was to cook the pears till soft, run them through an apple sauce grinder, and re add the pulp back to the water they were cooked in, add some corn sugar to bring OG up to about 1.060 and pitch yeast. Then back sweetening with some real pear juice.

Is there a simpler method without going and buying an expensive fruit press?

Thanks man, I was at walmart last night and didnt see any, well I saw some but it was in 12oz Goya cans, sorry not buying 52 goya cans to open.

I have not yet bought a container of juice to make cider or perry. I have a residential centrifugal juicer, (juiceman or something like that), that I run apples and pears through. I have to clean it out half a dozen times for each gallon, but the results are far more pleasant than any homebrew cider I have tasted using ready made juice. You might pick one of this up at a yard sale in good working order for 10 bucks. Just a thought.

I have not yet bought a container of juice to make cider or perry. I have a residential centrifugal juicer, (juiceman or something like that), that I run apples and pears through. I have to clean it out half a dozen times for each gallon, but the results are far more pleasant than any homebrew cider I have tasted using ready made juice. You might pick one of this up at a yard sale in good working order for 10 bucks. Just a thought.

Better yet, I think they have them at Target for about 39.99 or less. They have a couple of juicers actually. Check the infant section for pear juice. I know that at Target (sorry, I work there) they have the .5 gallons there. You could probably supplement a full gallon of apple juice as a filler for that last gallon of your recipe as well if the pear gets too expensive... Just a thought.

Hummm.

An old well cleaned and sanitized garbage disposer will crush apples and pears. A hydraulic jack and a couple of boards will squeeze the juice out of the crush.

It's a project, but may be fun to build.

Back