Spent Grain Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
So I kept the spent grains from my last batch Sunday (an English Ordinary Bitter) and put some in my waffle batter yesterday and made a loaf of barley bread today. Man-o-man did it turn out great.

2013-03-19203834.jpg
[/IMG]

It was a really simple recipe I picked up online:

• 3 cups spent grain (wet)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Use Spent Grain that still has a small amount of sugars still in the grain. Crystal, Munich, Maris Otter, Honey Malt are great malts to use. Stay away from large amounts of Roasted Malts.*

Add 1 tsp salt and knead in or mix flour, one cup at a time, until the dough will not stick to the fingers. This will take about 5 additional cups, the amount depending on the water content of the grain. Continue to knead or mix until a silky texture that does not stick to fingers is achieved.

Let dough rise (covered) in a warm place for at least an hour or till it doubles in volume. Then form into loaves and let rise again. When doubled in volume, bake at 375 for 30-35 min. Test to make sure done inside.

This is a heavy, dense, dark bread -- not unlike a squaw bread we've had at a favorite restaurant.

There are 2 things I will do differently on the next round: use honey or LME instead of table sugar, and use beer instead of water.

I highly recommend you give something like this a try if you haven't yet.

Looks delicious. I'm brewing a big DIPA this weekend. Maybe I'll save the grains for this...or dog treats.

Thanks for sharing.

Iv been making these loafs with what looks like the same online recipe! Turns out great. Sometimes I use more regular grain and less spent grains depending on how heavy I want the bread. Iv been wondering what effect replacing the water with beer will have?!? I might have to try this next time!

My swmbo makes some awesome spent grain cheese bread. Very similar recipe. Must be a google thing :p

So I kept the spent grains from my last batch Sunday (an English Ordinary Bitter) and put some in my waffle batter yesterday and made a loaf of barley bread today. Man-o-man did it turn out great.

2013-03-19203834.jpg
[/IMG]

It was a really simple recipe I picked up online:

• 3 cups spent grain (wet)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Use Spent Grain that still has a small amount of sugars still in the grain. Crystal, Munich, Maris Otter, Honey Malt are great malts to use. Stay away from large amounts of Roasted Malts.*

Add 1 tsp salt and knead in or mix flour, one cup at a time, until the dough will not stick to the fingers. This will take about 5 additional cups, the amount depending on the water content of the grain. Continue to knead or mix until a silky texture that does not stick to fingers is achieved.

Let dough rise (covered) in a warm place for at least an hour or till it doubles in volume. Then form into loaves and let rise again. When doubled in volume, bake at 375 for 30-35 min. Test to make sure done inside.

This is a heavy, dense, dark bread -- not unlike a squaw bread we've had at a favorite restaurant.

There are 2 things I will do differently on the next round: use honey or LME instead of table sugar, and use beer instead of water.

I highly recommend you give something like this a try if you haven't yet.

Hey. This looks very delicious. Can you do us a favour and update the recipe? Tell us when you add the yeast and water (or beer). And what kinda yeast you add....

Thanks a lot. :)

That does look delicious, I made some spent grain bread in the bread machine a while back from a recipe I got on here and that turned out pretty good. I've got a sourdough starter going now I made with some trub from my last beer and want to try making a sourdough spent grain bread next. Never thought of using the grains in waffles but I'm suring going to try that, thanks for the great idea.

Back