Gelatin in the primary ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankbru

Reaction score
I have a pumpkin ale that has been in the primary for 4 weeks and still is murky I want to try using gelatin to clear it up some ....problem is all of my carboys are in use, my question is ,has anyone added gelatin solution to primary and cold crashed with good results ?

Make sure you keep us posted if your attempted solutions works for your pumpkin ale. My pumpkin ale is now on day 4 in primary and I can tell its going to be murky as well. I'm going to use a secondary as well as cold crash

cold crash, THEN add the gelatin. i use gelatin in primary exclusively, works great.

k47k said:
cold crash, THEN add the gelatin. i use gelatin in primary exclusively, works great.

Well I've got it cold crashing now, but I added the gelatin at room temp then cold crashed you think the gelatin will still clear it up ? I added a teaspoon of gelatin to a half pint of hot water and put into carboy then put carboy in my fridge ....

it may not be ideal but will be fine.

Heres what i do;

boil 1 cup of water
cool slightly (170-180?)
stir in 1 packet of gelatin
let sit for 10 minutes
stir until totally dissolved and clear (if its cloudy you did it wrong)
dump this into primary that has been cooled for 24 hours @32dF
keep cold for 24 hours minimum (48+ is better)
done.

Do not add into a carboy secondary, just as a tip, I did this once and it took for ever to clean out. I had a geletain ring just out of reach of my carboy brush

I wouldnt reuse yeast that has been fined with gelatin.

I make 10 gallon batches so when i want to reuse yeast i use gelatin on 1 carboy and none on the 2nd (reuse yeast).

the first is consumed first (clear), the second is consumed later after it has time to clear naturally.

It's all totally fine.

You can add gelatin at room temp, it just takes a bit longer to clarify BUT you're cold crashing so you're fine. The order doesn't matter. Cold crash then gel: fine. Gel then cold crash: fine.

You can add it in primary and it'll work just fine. I think you probably could wash the yeast afterward. I've actually pitched on a gelled yeast cake and it was totally fine, no issues at all. I actually did an A/B tasting at my homebrew club with one batch that was split with 5 gallons on fresh yeast and 5 gallons on the gelled yeast cake. Very little difference.

You can also add gelatin in secondary with no issues. If you have a difficult to remove gelatin ring then there is something else wrong in the process.

Sorry to piggyback on an old thread, but has anyone else done what pcollins did and can they report their results. No offense pcollins, just want to be really sure before I go ahead.

I used gelatin for the first time in my primary. I was planning on repitching on the yeast cake for the first time ever as well, but after reading some more on the forums I see this may be a bad idea. Brew day planned for tomorrow, but if I can't pitch on this yeast I'll probably have to hold off. My search of the forums has some people saying you can't and others that you can, but some of the posts are a few years old.

Thanks in advance for the help.

No responses, and the brew day got pushed forward to last night so I just went ahead and did it. Checked this morning, and its bubbling like crazy with a 3 inch krausen ring seven hours after pitching. So looks like it worked, I'll post back in about a month with any taste observations.

Back