Samichcluas(bad spelling)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
At $19.95 USD a four pack of 8 oz bottles, this is one of my favorite all time beers
Has anyone ever come close to a good clone. Will swap a Tarquar house ale clone recipe. Please note my spelling is bad(I wanted to say atrocuoius).
This is my second favorite beer, but Mine is better.

The correct spelling is Samichlaus. I brought up a 2006 from the cellar now I supppose I should drink one.

problem is I think it is a lager. It took me 3 years to get close to traquar with no help. I'm also working on Founder's Kentucky bourbon aged stout which I think I can get to. a Sami at 14%, problem 0ne is the yeast. Have been playing with parti-gyle and jacking the alcohol content high with different sugar combos,
cant seem to get above 13%. The smoothness would indicate a lager and I'm primarily a ale guy and cant fiqure a lager yeast that would get me there. Unless they are using dextros break downs to jack it up there. That would require working at 160 to 165 in the mash. Buying a kit would mean my first kit beer.
a possibility but if you've never had a sami it is an experience. I have one 2003 left and each one got better. I'm saving the last one for my death bed.

Yeah it is a lager. I think it comes in around 14% ABV, I am pretty sure there are lager strains (bock, etc) that can handle that level.

ameadrat said:
question beeriffic is it whole grain recipe?

I don't have the book, but I suspect they include all grain and extract. The price on their sight is for extract they say call for all grain.

beerrific,
ouch I just looked at both their traquar ale and sami pricing. My traguar with a parti-gyle is $33.22. that"s 2 cases of traguar and a case of parti-gyle. there kit traguar price is 52 and their sami is 80. I'll buy 4 four packs of sami first.

thanks for the info but no cigar

ameadrat

Might take a look at the book to look at the recipe. Putting it together yourself might be cheaper.

Beerific,
If your prone to big scottish ales give me a nod and 'll e-mail you my recipe.
You can make and pay $5 for a bottle of tragtuar and let me know.
Thanks
ameadrat

Beerific,
or send me your mailing address and I'll send you one

ameadrat

I am actually not a fan of sottish ales. They are much too heavy for my likes. I may make one some day, but it is literally behind on most other styles on my list. Thanks for the offer though.:mug:

FYI, a samichlaus clone recipe is also in the BYO "150 classic clone recipes" special magazine issue, which you can get for like $7. It has both extract and all-grain.

edit: oh, and check your PM's ;)

Back