Stainless HERMS Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psbuckland

Reaction score
I finally got everything needed to make my Stainless HERMS coil to fit my Keggle HLT. You can see from the photos that I tried the Corny keg bending on the first foot and it came out dreadful! I have a tubing roller now, fitted to do 1/2" stainless tubing. I couldn't be happier or less frustrated!

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Very nice! Can you compress or shorten the height on the coil to fit in your kettle or will you have to hold it together with zip ties? Also, would you be interested in making a coil for me???

That looks amazing. Nice work on your coil. I've ruined one myself and seen many others fail too. You should be proud.

Harbor freight tubing bender with custom dies for 1/2 " tubing.

please defind "custom dies" because that is the one HF bender that is says it would make a nice boat anchor?

Pics would be great. Thanks

Shameless plug;). Maybe I'll do them
For 1/2 the cost of them. $210 is a bit much...

I'll get some pics before the weekend...

Whatever happened the pictures over the weekend :) jk, if you don't mind I would also be interested in the HF mod you did.

Would 50' of 3/8" tubing work just as well as 1/2" for this application?

it would work, but definately not 'just as well'. 1/2" pipe flows 33% more volume at the same amount of pressure as 3/8", so your flow will be significantly slower by using the smaller size. depending on how much PSI your pump is capable of, you might not be able to keep your mash at temperature very well.

Ok..finally got some pics of the bender. It is overkill for this, but it makes it so easy! The first pic is the smallest original die that came with the bender. It is for 3/4" ID pipe....way too big. The second shows the new dies installed. The third, an overall pic of the setup. You can see the wheel allows you to drive the tube through with one hand.

image-1795034130.jpg

image-985783535.jpg

image-2163345596.jpg

Would 50' of 3/8" tubing work just as well as 1/2" for this application? There are some immersion chillers on the market that could perhaps be retrofitted?

3/8" will work fine for a HERMS, the flow rate in a HERMS is well within the 3/8" capability, you want to circulate at a slow rate, preventing grain bed compaction.

You guys are a tough crowd!:).
You'll find the link for the roller below. it comes with several sets of dies....but 3/4 inch pipe is the smallest. Swag off road produces dies for he roller in many sizes. His workmanship is superb and his kit makes the tool perform better. I just landed tonight and I'll be sure and take pictures of the setup tomorrow.

S-

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html
http://www.swagoffroad.com/Harbor_Freight_Tubing_Roller.html

Correct me if I am wrong, but did this set-up cost over $300? I would need to bend a lot of tube to justify that.

It would be awesome if someone in the Dallas area had a tubing roller I could borrow/rent! I'm thinking about calling every machine shop in town tomorrow to see if they have the capability to coil tubing.

AdamCanFly said:
It would be awesome if someone in the Dallas area had a tubing roller I could borrow/rent! I'm thinking about calling every machine shop in town tomorrow to see if they have the capability to coil tubing.

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I might be able to help. I'm in east fort worth and am about to build a roller. I've already got my 1/2" sheaves, and my tubing is in transit. I just need to squeeze time in my busy schedule to build it and roll my tubing. I'll message you when it's together (and if it works...)

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I might be able to help. I'm in east fort worth and am about to build a roller. I've already got my 1/2" sheaves, and my tubing is in transit. I just need to squeeze time in my busy schedule to build it and roll my tubing. I'll message you when it's together (and if it works...)
Awesome!! I can defiantly wait a couple weeks! I could rent it from you or something to make it fair.

Back