Sprecher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpapa7272

Reaction score
MY LHBS just got the sprecher back instock this week and I got my shipment today.

Since I dont have a dual pressure regulator I was wondering could I mix 4 gallons of club soda with the gallon of sprecher and put in the keg and put on the 10 psi serving pressure or will this over carbonate it?

It will be under carbonated. You have to realize that the pressure of the CO2 in the liquid needs to equalize with the pressure of the CO2 in the headspace.

Mixing the syrup with club soda in the keg will work, but the agitation from the mixing process will bring a lot of CO2 out of solution.

If you kept everything super cold and sealed the keg before agitating, then you may be able to keep enough CO2 in solution for it to be acceptable. But you still face the problem of losing pressure as you serve.

If you go through it quickly for a party, you might be ok, but if it sits any appreciable time between pouring a glass here and there, then your root beer will eventually become under carbed.

It will be under carbonated. You have to realize that the pressure of the CO2 in the liquid needs to equalize with the pressure of the CO2 in the headspace.

Mixing the syrup with club soda in the keg will work, but the agitation from the mixing process will bring a lot of CO2 out of solution.

If you kept everything super cold and sealed the keg before agitating, then you may be able to keep enough CO2 in solution for it to be acceptable. But you still face the problem of losing pressure as you serve.

If you go through it quickly for a party, you might be ok, but if it sits any appreciable time between pouring a glass here and there, then your root beer will eventually become under carbed.

+1... won't work well. Basically when you mix the soda you will loose a ton of carbonation. What happens is the addition of the sugar will cause nucleation and thus the gas to come out more easily from the seltzer.... Then leaving it at 10 PSI will also allow it over time to come to equilibrium and be under carbed... its a two fold problem. I would invest in a dual body regulator or add a body to your existing regulator.

Back