Infected batch...pretty sure I know where it happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My last batch, a strong red ale, had a ridiculously sour flavor that made it completely undrinkable. So I guess that means it got infected.

When I brewed it, I made the bonehead mistake of sprinkling my yeast into boiling water. Pretty sure that killed it. Not realizing it, I popped everything into my fermenter on Friday night. The sample I took from the fermenter before adding the yeast tasted fantastic.

2 days later, with no signs of fermentation (duh...I killed my yeast), I realized my mistake. Ran down to the HBS and got some more. Boom, instant fermentation.

Fast forward 3 weeks. I took my first sample and it was a bit sour. Let it sit another week, took another sample. No change in gravity, time to bottle. Took another taste and it was still sour. Hoped that time in the bottle would mellow it out. Long story short, 5 months later and it's undrinkable.

Is it possible that the 2 days that it sat without fermentation was an open invitation for bacteria to spoil the whole batch? I did everything else by the book. This is the only think I can think of.

Sure. Room temperature wort is a micro-organism's favorite food, whether that micro-organism be a yeast or a bacteria. You had a minor infection that became a major one thanks to the free reign the bacteria got for 48 hours.

Latest posts

Back