Enough 2 row in my mini mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skelator

Reaction score
Hello all! Quick question, im wondering if my grain bill below has enough 2 row to make the mini mash worth while. I dont really want to go any higher (heavier) since i'll already be down to 1qt/lb in the smaller pot i have which will fit nicely into my oven to mash.

2.5# 2 row
.75# Chocolate
.25# Black
.25# Flaked oats
.25# Flaked Wheat

FWIW, its for a porter, ill be using 4.5-5# Lt LME as well for the rest of the sugars.

Much appreciated, as always! :ban::ban:

A rule of thumb for diastatic power is that the recipe's weighted average should be 50+. Let's say you have a 2-row with 150 DP. You could make a recipe with as little as 33% 2-row and up to 66% non-enzymatic malts, and still get decent conversion.

Some 2-rows have lower amounts than others, so it's a good idea to check the typical malt analysis for your base malt. Your LHBS or wherever you bought the malt from should be able to provide you with that info.

Yes, that's plenty.

Just a note. When doing a mini mash, I recommend using as much grain as possible. The bigger the grain bill, the easier it is to keep the temperature stable.

Also makes the beer cheaper and better.

Good to know! Looks like anything 60% or higher seems to be enough.

I wish i could do more, but my equipment is holding me back and dont reeeeally want to purchase additional (bigger) pots or a MLT (im using an oven to mash). I've found i can do 4lbs which will cut my cost down by about 9 dollars (20-25% depending on the beer).

Latest posts

Back