Warm fermenting beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
So now that summer is almost here, what kind of beer styles allow for fermenting in warmer temps.

My basement is already got up to 68 or 70 today. So i'd imagine in a few weeks it'll be mid 70s plus, maybe even hits 80s on those unbearable summer days.

I know hefe's are ok warm within reason (and i love me some banana), and saisons which I've never had, but what else?

Any other yeast strains that do okay in the mid 70s? I know i'll never win an award fermenting this high, but I'm sure I could still make good beer yeah?

I have been able to keep my brews below 70 in the summer by filling a big tub with water and throwing in a few frozen water bottles every so often. I used 1056 on a blond and an ipa last summer. It made me nervous, but it worked out fine.

I have been able to keep my brews below 70 in the summer by filling a big tub with water and throwing in a few frozen water bottles every so often. I used 1056 on a blond and an ipa last summer. It made me nervous, but it worked out fine.

+1 also if u cover carboy with a shirt and wet it every so often it has a wick effect keeping it a few degrees cooler:mug: im in ma and my basement stays around 69 in the summer.

Yes yes, I'm aware of these options. But none of these answer my question. What styles can I do at warmer temps? Any that really benefit besides a hefe (imo it's warmer, contrary to jz)

Definitely saisons. Also, bucket+water+ice is a good solution if you want to do a cooler beer.

Definitely saisons. Also, bucket+water+ice is a good solution if you want to do a cooler beer.

+1 on the cooler + ice. I live in an apartment that tends to get very warm 75+ on any given day year round. I got the max cold square cooler and I can fit my 7.9 gal bucket in there with some frozen 1 liter soda bottles. I can keep it mid 60s even when it gets into the 90s w/o much problem.

I picked WLP550 for my Belgian yeast since it can go upto 78F. I am few days into a Belgian Pale Ale that is in my cooler at around 69F.

+1 on saisons, try Wyeast French Saison and Wits can be done upto 75F.

Bro,
During the summer I brew only Belgian's because I do not see the logic in defying the season. I start out with a witbeir, followed by saison. By mid July, early august its tie to start the triple then dubble. Before fall kicks in, I may do another big Belgian to age on oak. Late fall, winter and spring are when I do other styles that require colder temps. This method works for my apartment living and my desire to not increase my utility bill....work with nature not against her.
Cheers

I'm not too big into estery beers (including many Belgians) which is pretty much all you will get at high fermentation temperatures. I'm also in MA and in September of last year my condo was 77 degrees. That means 80-87 in the bucket. Horrible for most beers.

I'm limited for space so I got a Johnson controller and a condenserless frig that holds my ale pail. It sits in a corner of my living room underneath my network printer. You don't even know its there and I can brew most beers any time of the year.

If you use WL Belgian Golden Strong yeast, that 80-87 is perfect for making triples and really good dubbles. In fact, that will ensure the fermentation finished out nice and dry. After reading the book Brew like a Monk, I now try to shoot really high. But with your condenserless fridge, your set.
Incidentally, will it hold a 6.5 gallon better bottle? Whats the brand name as I am interested in this fridge of yous.
Thanks

Back