Yeast shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby_M posted a thread about a week ago using a year old properly stored tube with a starter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

I've used nearly a year old tube (it was a couple months outdated and sat in my fridge for another 6 months or so) myself with no problems...The biggest thing besides applying the puke test with using outdated yeast is to Plan enough time to incrementally build up a huge starter.

Just like we can build up a starter by harvesting a scant few cells out of a bottle, outdated yeast can be used, because you will reproduce the healthy still alive cells.

My lhbs sells outdated tubes and smack packs dirt cheap....

I got the overflow of my last batch in a 1 gal jug, I threw a tube of 3rd gen. 1 year old yeast in it and its doing good. The tube sat in back of fridge for a year. forgot all about it.

If you're concerned about it's viability, just culture the yeast through a few starters and washes until you're ready to use it. But I don't think it's needed, as has been said, just make a started and you'll be good to go.

Back