Wine fermentation temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
So in the next few days, I am going to put together my first wine kit (Vintners Reserve White Zinfandel). I was wondering if the temperature for fermentation was as important as it was for beer. Right now I do the water bath in a cooler to keep my beer fermentation temps down. Should I do this for the wine yeast as well, or does wine yeast ferment better at a warm temp?

It should state the info in the kit instructions. I've always been told 68-74 degree room temp but a kit I started today states 68-77 for the water temp. If it gets too warm, it will ferment too quickly and "off flavors" can result. Do you have a basement/cellar...? I see you're in MI. I'm in MA and while we've had occasional heatwaves already, typically the weather is great for winemaking right now...

Temperature control isn't nearly as important in winemaking. Most wine yeast strains do just fine up to 80 degrees. My house is pretty cool, so I've never gone over about 80, though.

Back