Found excellent source for solenoid valves!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking around trying to source some solenoid valves for my system that didn't cost me an arm & a leg. Someone sent me a link to an eBay store that seemed to offer just that. You can find it here: eBay Store - valves4projects: Brass Bodied Valves, Plastic Bodied Valves, Valves with Hose Barbs.

valves4projects.jpg

I ordered a couple to check them out to see if they were decent quality. They look great! The bodies are cast like pretty much all the others I have worked with in the past. The threads are very sharp and clean with minimal internal restriction. They look to be very well designed, and considering they are direct acting valves, they will work with zero pressure. That means you can use them in a gravity system without a pump!

I wouldn't hesitate to say that the quality is equivalent to the $234 ASCO's that I currently have that won't work with a low-pressure system!

He carries 1/4" up to 1" in pretty much all coil configuration one would need. 12VDC, 24VDC, and 120VAC. Look for the brass valves with the Viton seals. They will handle boiling temps with no problem.

I have had several conversations via email with Esa. The customer service is great, especially considering these valves are only $33 or so. The models with the Viton seals are listed as 12VDC. Just email him or put the coil voltage you want in the comments field on the PayPal checkout and he will change out the coil to what you want.

I forgot to mention that their shipping is great as well. $4.95 for the first one and the rest are free, at least on the 1/2" ones I bought. That is definitely a plus these days.

you have a very ugly cat.......

I can't remember where I found that picture, but I thought it was hilarious. Obviously an opinion not shared by the cat.

Excellent source, very affordable. Thanks for the link. I wish they had a 5VDC coil, but I guess you can't have everything.

Email Esa at "esa at harvela dot com" and ask him. He may very well be able to help you out. The problem is, since these valves are direct-acting the power requirements are pretty high. The info he gave me is:

120VAC = 22W (185mA give or take)
24VDC = 750mA
12VDC = 1.4A

So 5VDC coils would be real power hogs in my opinion. If I were you, I would use either optos or ice-cube relays and go with the 120VAC coils so the power needs are negligible.

Just got two of these installed in my system and I am very pleased. I haven't run any hop laden wort through them yet, but it doesn't appear that it is going to be a problem.... No more than any other valve anyway.

The problem is, since these valves are direct-acting the power requirements are pretty high. The info he gave me is:

120VAC = 22W (185mA give or take)
24VDC = 750mA
12VDC = 1.4A

Wow, thanks for posting this. I hadn't given much consideration to the amperage for these, and was thinking about the 12vdc ones, although I'm close on amps as it is so it looks like the 120vac ones would be a much better choice.

Wow, thanks for posting this. I hadn't given much consideration to the amperage for these, and was thinking about the 12vdc ones, although I'm close on amps as it is so it looks like the 120vac ones would be a much better choice.

Well, you are going to drive them with a relay anyway more than likely. 120VAC just made more sense to me to save panel space by being able to use a smaller PWS if for no other reason. And the relay couldn't care less if it is switching AC or DC as well.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff

Well, you are going to drive them with a relay anyway more than likely. 120VAC just made more sense to me to save panel space by being able to use a smaller PWS if for no other reason. And the relay couldn't care less if it is switching AC or DC as well.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

bull8042 I just got 2 120vAC solenoid valves...do you have to wire them to a relay? I have an old computer controller that allowed you to plug in seperate components of a system like your monitor, printer, etc. It has a switch for each one to allow me to turn them on or off. Could I wire a plug on the end of my solenoids and use that to turn them on and off?

When using the 120V versions, is there any wiring space, or any way to connect a flexible liquid-tight conduit to them?

Back