What has happened to the American people?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingdogwine

Reaction score
I need to join a home brew club! I made a batch of ed haus ale and I have been giving it out as gifts for Christmas. Its great beer! there is nothing wrong with it! I dare say its the best I have yet to make. Here is the response I have gotten from people I have given it to.

Brother (loves coors light): "Jesus Christ why is this so bitter? What do you mean coors light sucks they brew it in the rockys!"

Coworker: "There was gummy stuff in the bottom of the bottle I poured it out."

Other co worker: "I'm allergic to moonshine" :confused:

Has any one else ever had problems with people not understanding good quality beer?

Oh yeah, I brought some into work and one of the guys said very emphatically after smelling the top of his freshly poured glass: "This smells like beer!!!"

I was like, no ****, it IS beer!

Hold on a sec, there's a thread specifically for this type of thing, let me find it...

Hahaha my brother says the same thing about Coors Light. I've tried educating him but he thinks that stouts taste "like they were filtered through a steak."

But it's cool, I just don't give him any good beer. No accounting for taste, and all that.

Taste is the enemy of America. This is why we have MuckDonalds, Arby's Wendys......The list goes on. However, you will always find a ton of people that swear that those places are the best place to eat, in the world, EVER!

That mentality is the same with beer.

Taste is the enemy of America. This is why we have MuckDonalds, Arby's Wendys......The list goes on. However, you will always ind a ton of people that swear that those places are the best place to eat, in the world, EVER!

I had my cousin tell me once about miller lite "I can almost promise you our for fathers drank something like miller lite, is just so American!"

When I was young and dumb I use to think beer was something I would come to enjoy one day, just like everyone else.

Then I put down the bud light and picked up a fat tire.

I need to join a home brew club!

Ha, I may be able to help - Bexar Brewers.

The next meeting will be on the 2nd (or 3rd) Friday of January. Dues are $20/year and we generally ask that you bring homebrew or a good commercial beer to share. Good folks, drunk times. :D

PM me for the mailing list details...

I need to join a home brew club! I made a batch of ed haus ale and I have been giving it out as gifts for Christmas. Its great beer! there is nothing wrong with it! I dare say its the best I have yet to make. Here is the response I have gotten from people I have given it to.

Brother (loves coors light): "Jesus Christ why is this so bitter? What do you mean coors light sucks they brew it in the rockys!"

Coworker: "There was gummy stuff in the bottom of the bottle I poured it out."

Other co worker: "I'm allergic to moonshine" :confused:

Has any one else ever had problems with people not understanding good quality beer?

tell your brother that coors lite is like water compared to good homebrew. :mug:

I just gave some of my Ed's Haus Pale Ale to some coworkers at my new place of employment (2 months in) and most of them liked it, asking for more. I couldn't tell you how happy I was to meet people into beer down here... I was scared people only drank Whiskey....... not to brag or anything ;)

I often dream about a world where everyone could appreciate a good beer that has flavor, body and they don't complain when they get a beer with some beautiful head on it.

When i tell people i make homebrew they say, "Oh I don't care for dark beer." WTF is wrong with people?!

I go to the Home Brew Party meetings (Home Brew Dudes) once a month. It's the first Friday of each month at the store from about 7PM til everyone gets tired. It's also $20 a year and we usually all bring recent homebrews, talk about technique, and brew one beer. It's over near Nacodoches and 1604.

www.homebrewparty.com

I'm interested in the Bexar Brewers though, can I possibly have the details via PM as well?

It's over near Nacogdoches and 1604.
Now there's a city name you don't hear much. My father's from there (and went to SFA), spent many Christmas' there with the entire extended family.;)

I have gotten similar negative reactions. But I also gave a coworker a couple of Oatmeal Stouts (among other styles) and he later told me he didn't like dark beer. But one night a game was on and he had drank all the others so he decided to try one. He said the first sip caught him off-guard but by the end of the glass he thought it was delicious and totally loved the second one. So it goes both ways.

My brother, who usually drinks Busch Lite, unless Bud Lite is on sale, (then he'll buy the good stuff. :cross: ) say's that my beer will "blind you".

At first I thought that he was referring to the old stories about Moonshine causing blindness. It turns out that what he meant was that my beers are a little higher in Alcohol and drinking his usual his usual number of beers will get you "blind drunk".

I'm currently working on getting my house beer alcohol level a little more "sessionable". :D

He wouldn't even try my American wheat. Said it looked to "dark". Oh well, more for me...

Can we merge all these threads where we talk about how nobody is awesome enough to like our beer with all the threads where we talk about how our beer is better than any commercial beer?

Thanks!

Can we merge all these threads where we talk about how nobody is awesome enough to like our beer with all the threads where we talk about how our beer is better than any commercial beer?

Thanks!

wow! working on the old holiday spirit today. :p

I hope you get done working soon and we can start celebrating instead!:tank:

Most people respond to the fact that I brew my own beer with: "Wow, can you make XXX?" No one asks about beers that I've brewed before, or have plans to brew... But at least they're not asking if I can make BMC!

All great posts, but this crap about color is Bull. Can anyone tell me what color taste's like? I am just a extract brewer and all my brews look like motor oil so no one ever says

"Whats that stuff in the bottom ?" or
"How come it is cloudy?"

IM not going to drink something that looks like it already has been through my kidneys.

It's unrealistic to expect anyone outside of craft beer enthusiasts to have any respect for home brewed beer. It goes over as well as giving home made pickled herring as a gift.

Frankly, I don't blame most people. There IS some pretty rancid homebrew out there.

Taste is the enemy of America. This is why we have MuckDonalds, Arby's Wendys......The list goes on. However, you will always find a ton of people that swear that those places are the best place to eat, in the world, EVER!

That mentality is the same with beer.

This mentality can be applied to most anything consumed by us. A couple of classic examples that affect me on a day to day -

Swedish Snus vs Camel Snus - The American product (in fact MOST of the American tobacco line) is saturated with mass amounts of SUGAR. You get that initial 'sugar buzz' cause for some odd reason sweeter is better.

Combustion vs Vaporization - Even though this one is beginning to take hold a bit more, its still WAY more common for my combusting buddies to prefer the harsher, WASTEFUL method of combustion. Even though vaporization is more thorough, tastier, healthier, and EFFICIENT.

Dont blame the masses because they are ignorant and refuse to see outside of the glass. Its easy to follow the masses when thats all you have had crammed into your brain from birth.

Oops, didn't spellcheck!

Now there's a city name you don't hear much. My father's from there (and went to SFA), spent many Christmas' there with the entire extended family.;)

I have gotten similar negative reactions. But I also gave a coworker a couple of Oatmeal Stouts (among other styles) and he later told me he didn't like dark beer. But one night a game was on and he had drank all the others so he decided to try one. He said the first sip caught him off-guard but by the end of the glass he thought it was delicious and totally loved the second one. So it goes both ways.

I just gave some of my Ed's Haus Pale Ale to some coworkers at my new place of employment (2 months in) and most of them liked it, asking for more. I couldn't tell you how happy I was to meet people into beer down here... I was scared people only drank Whiskey....... not to brag or anything ;)

I know what you mean! I just started a new job as well and I am now "the beer guy" I can't brew enough to keep up with their demands for good beer! Think im in heaven!

Just yesterday one of my coworkers asked me if I had a 5 liter keg of my Hefe Weizen that he could get for Christmas...still says the one I made a couple of years ago for a party at his house was some of the best he's ever had...and he's been to Germany a lot...(I lived there for 9 years myself). :mug:

I know my beer is good when someone says, man, this is good...can I have some more? That's success...:mug:

hehehe, when I came back from Germany, I brought back a case of Hefe. I REALLY wanted my dad to try it as he's a big beer drinker.

As soon as the yeast poured out of the bottle, "I'm not drinking THAT!" lol

Consequently, it was a year and a half before I would drink American domestics again.

Oh well, more for me...

This is how I feel. Unfortunately I have too many friends that like my beer.

That and the SWMBO keeps talking it up to everybody. Anyone who comes by the house ends up leaving with a bottle or two. Makes it hard to get a pipeline going!

Back