Yeast starter Erlenmeyer flasker for 5 and 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
So I have finally gotten the motivation to do starters. For now I a am doing 5 Gallon batches and in the presses of building a single tier 10 gal sculpture. Can you do a starter for a five gallon batch in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask. Or is their too much surface area for a 5 gallon batch? Thanks

Am I using this thing wrong? It seems to me, that even with a stir-plate, for any og exceeding 1.06 you need at least a 1 liter starter. For 1.08 you need 1.75 liters.

If you are doing 5gal batches and they are going to be lagers, I don't think you can get away with a 2L starter using a stir plate and 1 vial of yeast. Check out the pitching rate calculator to be sure.

That being said, I have made a few 5g lagers with a 2L starter and they have all turned out fantastic, so your mileage may vary. I haven't tried a larger starter yet (I only have a 2L flask) so I can't compare.

I use the 2L flask for 5 gal.

No stir plate (this will change) ... use the "let's shake the flask now" when I go back into the kitchen. Stirplate can be built cheaply (one more project for me)

Flasks are really nice, but i really like my 1 gallon glass jug, no problem making huge multiple addition starters in it. Also, a 1 gallon glass jug is only $4.

I have a 1 gallon jug as well that I use for starters. If you are going to get a stir-plate though (really a must for high gravity batches or 10 gallons) you should buy a flask.

I have a 1 gallon jug as well that I use for starters. If you are going to get a stir-plate though (really a must for high gravity batches or 10 gallons) you should buy a flask.

Really? I built a stir plate and stir bar and have no problems with it using my 1 gallon jug. I used a 80mm case fan and the two magnets from a hard drive to attach to the fan and use as a stir bar. Works great!

Back