Blow offs and secondary questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indian09

Reaction score
Hello, got a couple of question.

Does having a blowoff affect how long you can keep the brew in the primary before racking to a secondary? Does having a blowoff affect the taste of the beer by getting rid of some of the Krausen before it settles? Should you rack to a secondary as soon as the Krausen dissapates or wait till it stttles a bit?

Thx

I used to wonder these same things. Now I'm pretty sure that a blowoff tube just keeps your airlock from blowing off and opening your beer to infection. It might have some effect on the taste, but only really vigorous ferments will blow out anyway. Most beers the krausen just falls back in no matter what you put on top of the carboy. Having said that, blowoffs are a good insurance policy against beer fountains.

indian09 said:
Hello, got a couple of question.

Does having a blowoff affect how long you can keep the brew in the primary before racking to a secondary? Does having a blowoff affect the taste of the beer by getting rid of some of the Krausen before it settles? Should you rack to a secondary as soon as the Krausen dissapates or wait till it stttles a bit?

Thx

blow-off tubes are just an alternative to an airlock, with less worry for an over active ferment to make that little buggar into a rocket! :D

it doesn't affect the flavor or final wuality of the brew.

i wait a day or two after the kraeusen has fallen and there is no visible activity in the air lock before i rack to secondary.

Blow-off tubes are an alternative to mopping the ceiling! They won't change the flavor or the time it takes for the ferment to complete.

Back