Does using a few different brands of cider/AJ increase complexity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Is their any benefit whatsoever from using a medley of juices?

So I have 3 gal Motts, 1 gal of a cider and 1 gallon of another fancy A. juice.
I know if pressing apples using many types of apples adds complexity, will it make a difference if using store bought pasturized?

Thanks!

If you can find some granny smith juice it might contribute some complexity, but unfortunately most all "drinking" juice is going to be similar in the apples they put into them. The over the counter stuff is going to be sweet eating apples. You could always add some apples you juice yourself or maybe a bottle of cranberry, mixed berry etc.

My last batch used a mix of plain apple juice and unfiltered farm cider. I find the cider lends the final product a cool, slightly caramel-like character that adds complexity without sourness; if you go whole-hog on it though you end up with cider that just tastes like farm cider that's turned a bit (note: still good). As far as blending commercial apple juices, I doubt you'll see much change, like PP said your best bet would be to juice/pulp some tart apples for that.

My ratio of starting materials is 2.5 gallons juice, 2 gallons farm cider, 6 tubes apple juice concentrate, Nottingham, and nutrient, if you're interested. No added sugar, the concentrate provides enough.

Latest posts

Back